Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Ideology
    Progressive Liberal
    Blog Entries
    Post Like Stats

Default Fox's fake news angers the UK. Now we have the British mad at us?

So a Fox News commentator opens his mouth and makes stupid claims using anonymous sources and causes an international crisis. Wow.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/n...317-story.html

British officials complained to the White House Thursday after Press Secretary Sean Spicer cited a Fox News commentator's report claiming former President Barack Obama had enlisted U.K. intelligence to spy on President Donald Trump.

Andrew Napolitano, a legal pundit for Fox News who has advised the current president, claimed during a March 14 telecast that three intelligence sources told the network Obama personally appealed to the British Government Communications Headquarters, known as the GCHQ, to spy on Trump. Spicer highlighted the report in a list of media accounts he read to reporters during his briefing on Thursday, arguing that the stories helped validate the president's unsubstantiated allegation that his predecessor had surveilled him.
    When you have the leaders of the House and Senate intelligence committees and the majority leaders in both Houses saying this is all garbage, it's about time for a little intelligence, if there's such a thing, to manifest itself and for this administration to back off. But it appears that brains aren't a commodity in this administration.

The UK Telegraph did a profile on "Judge Nap" and wrote this:

British officials have categorically denied Napolitano's reporting, and Spicer's decision to cite it from the White House podium threatened to strain relations between the trans-Atlantic allies.
    Another nice mess, Trump.
    Last edited by madasheck; March 17th, 2017 at 9:17 am.

The stupids won the election, Scared yet? #nottheenemy. : "Don't give this man the nuclear codes." -- Tony Schwartz, "The Art of the Deal."

Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    Just because the Brits "categorically deny" it, does not mean it did not occur or that they were not involved. Seriously ... What would you expect them to say if they did surveille Trump as a favor to Obama?
    do you have any proof? its fine just to accuse one of American oldest allies of spying on the Trump on the behest of Obama?
    If we allow politicians to succeed by scaring people, we donít actually end up any safer. Fear doesnít make us safer. It makes us weaker - Justin Trudeau Prime Minister of Canada.

3. Sponsored Links
    Post Like Stats

That is one possibility. You may not like it, but a lack of evidence does not prove that something did not occur. That is not an opinion (or a conspiracy); that is fundamental logic.

And a corollary to that is, just because someone denies doing something, does not prove that they did not do it ... particularly when the denier has a vested interest in not admitting what they are accused of.

On the other hand, a lack of evidence does not prove that it happened either. Truth is, none of us knows what did or did not happen, and it is likely that we never will ... so long as everyone involved keeps their mouth shut.
    lack of evidence doesn't PROVE something occurred.
    There is ZERO PROOF of this claim.
    If we allow politicians to succeed by scaring people, we donít actually end up any safer. Fear doesnít make us safer. It makes us weaker - Justin Trudeau Prime Minister of Canada.

Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by tguns View Post
    Oh my God, now we're pissing off our allies.....unprecedented.
    Unpresidented?
    "I don't puke when I drink. I puke when I don't."

-Roy Munson

My Mood
    Sardonic
    Ideology
    Get off my lawn
    Blog Entries
    Post Like Stats

That is one possibility. You may not like it, but a lack of evidence does not prove that something did not occur. That is not an opinion (or a conspiracy); that is fundamental logic.

And a corollary to that is, just because someone denies doing something, does not prove that they did not do it ... particularly when the denier has a vested interest in not admitting what they are accused of.

On the other hand, a lack of evidence does not prove that it happened either. Truth is, none of us knows what did or did not happen, and it is likely that we never will ... so long as everyone involved keeps their mouth shut.
    Sigh...you were one of the better posters on the boards, and now even you've debased yourself.

Put your "logical powers" to work and think about the probability that Andrew Napolitano...who's been benched by Fox News as even they admitted his "unnamed sources" story has no foundation...knows something nobody else knows.
    • The unexamined life is not worth living.
    • Wisdom is knowing how little we know.
    • The arguments stay the same...only the sides making those arguments change.

My Mood
    Inspired
    Ideology
    Progressive Liberal
    Blog Entries
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Dingo View Post
    So...they are full of kooks and rabid libs....so is that media matters one of your libs pointed to in another thread. Nothing but an infowars site.
    I'll take rabid libs over wingnut cons (like your friend Ted Nugent) any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

The stupids won the election, Scared yet? #nottheenemy. : "Don't give this man the nuclear codes." -- Tony Schwartz, "The Art of the Deal."

My Mood
    Inspired
    Ideology
    Progressive Liberal
    Blog Entries
    Post Like Stats

Just because the Brits "categorically deny" it, does not mean it did not occur or that they were not involved. Seriously ... What would you expect them to say if they did surveille Trump as a favor to Obama?
    So why did Spicer apologize to the UK?

http://nypost.com/2017/03/17/us-apol...p-accusations/

My Mood
    Inspired
    Ideology
    Progressive Liberal
    Blog Entries
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by HeadOnStraight View Post
    No one was policing the news media, when it was busy reporting that the "election was hacked" and the New York Times running stories that the federal government was investigating Trump's associates for possible collusion with the Russians, even including possible FISA warrants. Who in the news media jumped down the Times' throat to ask for proof? But when Trump essentially says the same thing the news media had said for months, then every news organization demanded that Trump provide proof.

Don't get me wrong, Trump should provide proof, but so should the news media, when it claims there's an active FBI / CIA investigation on Trump and his people. The same for when all these talking heads on cable TV claimed Trump had not paid taxes in a decade or two. the news media will seemingly let any false story go by unchallenged.
    You'd have to cite specific stories. But the FBI has confirmed the investigation now. And unnamed sources don't necessarily mean fake news. The problem, I think, is the line between commentary and news has become blurred and people don't know the difference.

Ideology
    Get off my lawn
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianJudo View Post
    lack of evidence doesn't PROVE something occurred.
    There is ZERO PROOF of this claim.
    I have never claimed that it does. All along I have said lack of evidence does not prove anything.

"A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep." - Saul Bellow

Ideology
    Get off my lawn
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianJudo View Post
    do you have any proof? its fine just to accuse one of American oldest allies of spying on the Trump on the behest of Obama?
    I don't need proof; it is simply logic. A denial by the Brits does not prove they did not spy on behalf of Obama or anyone else.

"A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep." - Saul Bellow

Ideology
    Get off my lawn
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
    Sigh...you were one of the better posters on the boards, and now even you've debased yourself.

Put your "logical powers" to work and think about the probability that Andrew Napolitano...who's been benched by Fox News as even they admitted his "unnamed sources" story has no foundation...knows something nobody else knows.
    That calls for speculation, not logic. I have made no judgement on the veracity of Napolitano'sassertion. All I have said is that the Brit's denial does not prove him wrong.

But I am really curious... exactly what in my post did you object to that you think I should be ashamed of? Everything I said was consistent with the fundamentals of Boolean logic.
    Last edited by Samm; March 21st, 2017 at 1:50 am.

Ideology
    Get off my lawn
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by madasheck View Post
    So why did Spicer apologize to the UK?

http://nypost.com/2017/03/17/us-apol...p-accusations/
    You would have to ask him, but I expect someone in the Westwing told him to. Just as the Brit's denial does not mean they are innocent, the lack of evidence showing they did, makes any continuation of the assertion pointless and potentially diplomatically damaging.

My Mood
    Sanguine
    Ideology
    Democratic Party
    Post Like Stats

That calls for speculation, not logic. I have made no judgement on the veracity of Napolitano'sassertion. All I have said is that the Brit's denial does not prove him wrong.
    Yeah... It all hapened... It was like "Austin Powers in Goldmember."
    "They have given you nothing, I will give you everything. I will give you what youíve been looking for for 50 years. Iím the only one."- Republican Messiah

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Ideology
    Filthy Liberal
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by pnafin View Post
    Conservative suckers will believe just about anything.

My Mood
    Sanguine
    Ideology
    Democratic Party
    Post Like Stats

The best way you can tell it is true is when after Trump said it... He said he didn't say it, it was Judge Napolitano who said it... Then Fox News suspended Judge Napolitano.

You know things are true when nobody takes credit for it and the first person who said it is punished.
    "They have given you nothing, I will give you everything. I will give you what youíve been looking for for 50 years. Iím the only one."- Republican Messiah

Ideology
    Get off my lawn
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by pnafin View Post
    Austin Powers is not a valid rebuttal.

Just admit it ... a denial does not prove innocence any more than a accusation proves guilt.