Can someone "Learn" me on "Reaganomics" and what worked and what didnt'?

Default Can someone "Learn" me on "Reaganomics" and what worked and what didnt'?

Hi folks,

I'm a 40 year old conservative who is still learning every day. I was a kid in the 80s so my knowledge is secondhand at this point.

I'm looking to see if somebody can explain the Reagan era a little bit for me. The left as we know, has done it's best to revise history. Ronald Ragan is one of those. They claim that Reaganomics did not work, and that "trickle down" did not work either. Us conservatives use Reagan all the time in conversations, but liberals always reply with "well that didn't work". So I'm looking for the truth here. What happened in the 80s? What did Reagan really do that worked? What did he do that didn't work? And if it was so good, why didn't it continue?

I'm asking these questions because as conservatives, we need to be more prepared than the liberals. If anyone can chime in, that would be great.

Thank you.

2. Sponsored Links

Well I'm not an economics professor. I started in college starting in 1980. I do know from experience that miracles didn't happen the day after Reagan took office. They didn't happen the year after either. In fact, 1983, the year I graduated, the school officials apologized for the lack of job opportunities that were available. (I did manage to get a job in an unrelated field and continue my education but that is another story.)

However, I do recall that when I graduated the "stags" had gone. And they never returned. "Stagflation" was a condition of stagnation and inflation. It was at the end of the 1970's so bad that my government student loans had an interest rate lower than the inflation rate of the time. (Folks this will never happen again, and I thank stupid government for it.)

It's important to remember that like "star wars" "trickle down" is meant to be an insult. It's what the left does when they are not in power; insult and ridicule. I'll leave it to the experts to give the technical details and stats, but in my not so humble opinion, the 1980's were better than the 1970's.

4. Sponsored Links

Reagan used trickle-down economics (sorry it's the jargon I learned in history class...it's just easier to use that term to refer to a specific economic strategy, one that was developed by a specific person/administration); by lowering taxes on the rich that allowed them more freedom to hire more employees, thus creating more jobs. Indeed, with the Carter presidency, stagflation was a big problem (the oil embargo was not his fault, however).
    "Ignis aurum probat"

6. Sponsored Links

Here's the secret to "Reaganomics". Be the President when the entire baby boom generation AND their parents are in the job and consumer market. Almost no matter what he did, the economy would have been healthy. The only real thing he did was loosen up the bank's reserve rate which freed up some more cash. Other than that, he and the GOP were just roosters taking credit for the sunrise.

8. Sponsored Links

Oh Really? Wait a second let me get out my calculators out there, especially since I'm on the tail end of the baby boom generation. "baby boomers are defined as people born between 1943 and 1960" (poor me, born on the middle of 1961). So if we calculate the 21 year old period of the Baby Boomers we get 1964 - 1981. Let's see what was happening in the 70's ... could it be "stagflation?"

I graduated in 1983, just before Reagan's recovery really kicked in. The job market was so bad we had members of the college apologize to us at our graduation.

Nice try. Parting contestants get a year supply of Rice O Roni, the San Francisco treat. But please try again, I always love watching the Gong Show.

(By the way, to put your insanity in economic perspectives, Jobs are a lot like inflation. When too many people search out too few jobs the economy tanks. Baby booms tend to result in economic bad times. Remember we had a boom after WWII, not because we had too many workers but because we managed to kill off a good number of them as a result of the war. Too few workers going after too many jobs. But hey you are probably one of those stupid open borders persons who thinks that millions of new workers seeking the same job market actually helps the economy.)

10. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Reagan basically kick started the US economic engine buy freeing up capital for business. That is what he did that was right. What I felt he did wrong was he spent too much, they should have done more to get spending under control, but I guess he felt he had to give something to the Dem's.

12. Sponsored Links

Reaganomics included with a stock market crash - 'Black Monday'. I do not know if they were related, but the danger of freeing up businesses too much is uncontrolled speculation with its short-termism and potential for corruption (Enron, sub-prime mortgages etc.).

Reaganomics di not fail, but it did fail to live on past the Presidential term.

14. Sponsored Links