Trump picks Betsy DeVos as Education Secretary - Page 7

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 171
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    15,904
    Blog Entries
    15
    Rep Power
    16

    Default Trump picks Betsy DeVos as Education Secretary

    See The Latest: Charter school advocate picked for education job


    November 23rd 2016


    ”Trump calls DeVos "a brilliant and passionate education advocate."

    DeVos heads the advocacy group American Federation for Children. She's known for supporting charter schools and vouchers.

    Before Trump's announcement, some conservatives were complaining about DeVos' ties to the political establishment. They also warned that she previously supported Common Core standards that Trump railed against during the campaign.”



    Instead of working to actually drain the swamp and close down the unconstitutional activities carried on at the federal Department of Education, it appears Trump has decided to replace John B. King, Jr., the swamp’s current Secretary of Education, with Betsy DeVos.


    Currently, the federal Department of Education has a budget of about $68 BILLION and over 4 thousand employees who are not only paid more than your average private sector worker, but they are likewise given a very, very generous pension for redistributing tax revenue for a function not authorized by our written Constitution. Unless Betsy DeVos has been picked by Donald Trump to close down the federal Department of Education, it would appear his intention is merely to surround himself with new swamp creatures which suck our blood like ticks and fleas while spitting on our Constitution. Let us look at the facts.


    The People of Maryland, as every State in the Union, has delegated the power for a state funded and regulated public school system to their state elected officials, and not to the Congress of the United States --- the wording in Maryland’s Constitution, for example, is as follows:


    “The General Assembly, at its First Session after the adoption of this Constitution, shall by Law establish throughout the State a thorough and efficient System of Free Public Schools; and shall provide by taxation, or otherwise, for their maintenance.” ___ Article 8, Sect. 1


    The Maryland Constitutional also states, in emphatic terms:



    “the People of this State have the sole and exclusive right of regulating the internal government and police thereof, as a free, sovereign and independent State.”
    --- Art. 4 Maryland’s Declaration of Rights.


    In addition, the Maryland Constitution also states:


    “The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution thereof, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people thereof.”---Art. 3, Maryland’s Declaration of Rights


    It should also be noted that Federalist No. 45 sums up the federal government’s authorized and limited functions as follows:


    “The powers delegated by the proposed Constitution to the federal government are few and defined. Those which are to remain in the State governments are numerous and indefinite. The former will be exercised principally on external objects, as war, peace, negotiation, and foreign commerce; with which last the power of taxation will, for the most part, be connected.


    The powers reserved to the several States will extend to all the objects which, in the ordinary course of affairs, concern the lives, liberties, and properties of the people, and the internal order, improvement, and prosperity of the State.”



    These words were in fact given force and effect by the adoption of the federal Constitution’s Tenth Amendment which states:


    “The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States, respectively, or to the people.” --- United States Constitution, Tenth Amendment.


    The bottom line is, Congress has not been granted power by the federal Constitution to tax for, spend on, and regulate public school systems established under state constitutions.


    It is also important to note that our very own Supreme Court, less than twenty years after the adoption of our Constitution confirms the limited nature of our federal government. The Court states:


    “The government of the United States is of the latter description. The powers of the legislature are defined and limited; and that those limits may not be mistaken or forgotten, the constitution is written. To what purpose are powers limited, and to what purpose is that limitation committed to writing; if these limits may, at any time, be passed by those intended to be restrained? The distinction between a government with limited and unlimited powers is abolished, if those limits do not confine the persons on whom they are imposed, and if acts prohibited and acts allowed are of equal obligation. It is a proposition too plain to be contested, that the constitution controls any legislative act repugnant to it; or, that the legislature may alter the constitution by an ordinary act.


    Between these alternatives there is no middle ground. The constitution is either a superior, paramount law, unchangeable by ordinary means, or it is on a level with ordinary legislative acts, and like other acts, is alterable when the legislature shall please to alter it.


    If the former part of the alternative be true, then a legislative act contrary to the constitution is not law: if the latter part be true, then written constitutions are absurd attempts, on the part of the people, to limit a power in its own nature illimitable.


    Certainly all those who have framed written constitutions contemplate them as forming the fundamental and paramount law of the nation, and consequently the theory of every such government must be, that an act of the legislature repugnant to the constitution is void.”
    --- MARBURY v. MADISON, 5 U.S. 137 (1803)


    So, if Donald Trump has in fact selected Betsy DeVos to be the federal government’s Secretary of Education with a mission to close down the federal Department of Education, then I would say he is standing by his promise to drain the swamp. But if president elect Trump has chosen DeVos to continue redistributing tax revenue for a function not authorized by our written Constitution, then I would say he has already proven to be a con artist and fraud as so many have charged he is.


    JWK



    "The Constitution is the act of the people, speaking in their original character, and defining the permanent conditions of the social alliance; and there can be no doubt on the point with us, that every act of the legislative power contrary to the true intent and meaning of the Constitution, is absolutely null and void. ___ Chancellor James Kent, in his Commentaries on American Law (1858)

  2. Sponsored Links


  3. #91
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    The Republic
    Posts
    161,608
    Rep Power
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zantax View Post
    Give them time to put the fire in their hair out over Bannon, Trump not putting his business into blind trust, getting creamed in the election, Trumps vulgarity and etc. etc. I promise they'll get around to noticing, especially when she starts kicking vouchers and school choice into high gear.
    I'm going to hold you to that promise.

  4. Sponsored Links


  5. #92
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    29,681
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zantax View Post
    Give them time to put the fire in their hair out over Bannon, Trump not putting his business into blind trust, getting creamed in the election, Trumps vulgarity and etc. etc. I promise they'll get around to noticing, especially when she starts kicking vouchers and school choice into high gear.
    A 2,000,000 + minority win does not constitution "creaming" your opponent by any means.

    LBJ creamed Goldwater.

    Nixon creamed McGovern.

    Reagan creamed Mondale.

    Trump won by the skin of his ass.

    Lets not get carried away and start rewriting history already.

  6. Sponsored Links


  7. #93
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    The Republic
    Posts
    161,608
    Rep Power
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Safiel View Post
    A 2,000,000 + minority win does not constitution "creaming" your opponent by any means.

    LBJ creamed Goldwater.

    Nixon creamed McGovern.

    Reagan creamed Mondale.

    Trump won by the skin of his ass.

    Lets not get carried away and start rewriting history already.
    I think he means the whole thing. What was The Prize?

  8. Sponsored Links


  9. #94
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    149,930
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Safiel View Post
    A 2,000,000 + minority win does not constitution "creaming" your opponent by any means.

    LBJ creamed Goldwater.

    Nixon creamed McGovern.

    Reagan creamed Mondale.

    Trump won by the skin of his ass.

    Lets not get carried away and start rewriting history already.
    Nationwide, Democrats took a shellacking.
    Don't Blame Me I voted for Cruz! Without the 1st & 2nd Amendments the rest of The Constitution is meaningless
    THE DEFICIT

  10. Sponsored Links


  11. #95
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    15,904
    Blog Entries
    15
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cassandra Joe View Post
    Its always reassuring to hear, yet again, that Conservatives are Anti-Education.
    You are a very confused person. I believe "conservatives" are anti-federal-education. Almost every dictatorship I know of controls the minds of its younger generation via its centrally controlled education system.

    JWK

    The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States, respectively, or to the people.___ Tenth Amendment


    Quote Originally Posted by Cassandra Joe View Post
    Wow. I didn't think you'd say it out loud.



    You mean dictatorships like Britain, France, and Japan?
    Now why would I not yell the truth loud and clear? Conservatives, and in particular those who support and defend our written Constitution and its legislative intent, strenuously object to our federal government meddling in state public school systems which, under our federal Constitution, fall under those powers reserved by the states. I have no problem defending our Constitution, especially the Tenth Amendment which reads as follows: ”The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States, respectively, or to the people.”

    In regard to the dictatorships I mention, I was referring to such places as Cuba, Iran, Venezuela, etc., where the children have been brainwashed when it comes to political “history”, much like is happening here in America.

    JWK



    Those who reject and ignore abiding by the intentions and beliefs under which our Constitution was agree to, as those intentions and beliefs may be documented from historical records, wish to remove the anchor and rudder of our constitutional system so they may then be free to “interpret” the Constitution to mean whatever they wish it to mean.

  12. Sponsored Links


  13. #96
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    15,904
    Blog Entries
    15
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky SF Dude View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassandra Joe View Post
    Wow. I didn't think you'd say it out loud.



    You mean dictatorships like Britain, France, and Japan?
    Federal.
    Exactly! The poster intentionally ignores the distinction I made when writing " ... I believe "conservatives" are anti-federal-education"

    But isn't that is the left's endless MO? Misrepresent and smear those who support and defend our written Constitution.


    JWK




    The unavoidable truth is, the Democrats plan for “free” college tuition will be paid for by taxing millions of college graduates who worked their own way through college and are now trying to finance their own economic needs.


  14. Sponsored Links


  15. #97
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    13,214
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HeyJude View Post
    Betsy! I like that name, very old fashioned. I had a doll named Betsy when I was a child. Betsy Wetsy. I had to change her diapers.
    Plus she has a capital V in her last name!

  16. Sponsored Links


  17. #98
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    29,681
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    I believe that education works best when control is from the bottom up.

    For example, I live within the boundaries of the Lackawanna Trail School District in Northeast Pennsylvania. A rural school district with a total enrollment of roughly 1,200 + or - depending on year. Most of the children are from upper or middle class backgrounds with a relatively small proportion of students from poorer families. The demographics of this district are nearly 100% non-Hispanic Caucasian.

    Obviously, the requirements of this district are far different than those of the Philadelphia School District or the various districts in Allegheny County. It has problems different from those of more diverse school districts. Imposing one size fits all mandates out of Washington D.C. (or even out of the State Capitols) is just stupid. Local school districts should have the maximum freedom to meet their own unique needs and requirements.

  18. Sponsored Links


  19. #99
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,558
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zantax View Post
    You're missing what's going on here John. Look at her resume, she's all about school choice and vouchers, that has been her main focus. You may prefer government get out of education altogether but that is never going to happen, the people would never stand for it, giving them back their education money to spend where they choose on the other hand, will break the backs of teachers unions and eventually end government schools who won't be able to compete with the private sector.
    .

    And then...our education system will be just like Mexico's. Yay.

  20. Sponsored Links


  21. #100
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    15,904
    Blog Entries
    15
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phijw View Post

    Quote Originally Posted by HeyJude View Post
    Betsy! I like that name, very old fashioned. I had a doll named Betsy when I was a child. Betsy Wetsy. I had to change her diapers.

    Plus she has a capital V in her last name!
    Why don't you two go elsewhere if you are not interested in the thread? Trolls are not welcomed.


    JWK

  22. Sponsored Links


  23. #101
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,781
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnwk View Post
    ...Now why would I not yell the truth loud and clear? Conservatives, and in particular those who support and defend our written Constitution and its legislative intent, strenuously object to our federal government meddling in state public school systems which, under our federal Constitution, fall under those powers reserved by the states. I have no problem defending our Constitution, especially the Tenth Amendment which reads as follows: ”The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States, respectively, or to the people.”
    I think the Federal Education Standards are mandated based on whether or not a State receives Federal funding assistance for education. Its play-for-pay. States get an average of about 10% of their education budget from the Department of Education. In return, the Federal Government requires a minimum return on its investment, in the form of minimum performance standards and curriculum requirements. Remember "No Child Left Behind" (who started that, anyway)?? That was all about funding minimum standards. Schools that didn't meet standards, didn't get money.

    States, like California, can opt out of Federal Education assistance in order to maintain local standards, particularly if they think their standards are higher.

    So all your state has to do is cut their education budget by 10% to maintain local control.

    In regard to the dictatorships I mention, I was referring to such places as Cuba, Iran, Venezuela, etc., where the children have been brainwashed when it comes to political “history”, much like is happening here in America...
    So they should be brainwashed with "American" education, instead?

    Although Cuba makes some World-Class Doctors, Iran trains excellent Nuclear Physicists, and Venezuela educates a number of very good Petroleum Engineers.
    Its still not bad enough, yet.

  24. Sponsored Links


  25. #102
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    500 miles away from home
    Posts
    9,510
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnwk View Post
    Why don't you two go elsewhere if you are not interested in the thread? Trolls are not welcomed.


    JWK
    Lighten up, pilgrim. I asked you about civics academies and you never bothered to answer.



  26. Sponsored Links


  27. #103
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    15,904
    Blog Entries
    15
    Rep Power
    16

    Default Your feeble attempt at deflection is noted

    Quote Originally Posted by Cassandra Joe View Post

    Quote Originally Posted by johnwk View Post

    Now why would I not yell the truth loud and clear? Conservatives, and in particular those who support and defend our written Constitution and its legislative intent, strenuously object to our federal government meddling in state public school systems which, under our federal Constitution, fall under those powers reserved by the states. I have no problem defending our Constitution, especially the Tenth Amendment which reads as follows: ”The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States, respectively, or to the people.”
    I think the Federal Education Standards are mandated based on whether or not a State receives Federal funding assistance for education. Its play-for-pay. States get an average of about 10% of their education budget from the Department of Education. In return, the Federal Government requires a minimum return on its investment, in the form of minimum performance standards and curriculum requirements. Remember "No Child Left Behind" (who started that, anyway)?? That was all about funding minimum standards. Schools that didn't meet standards, didn't get money.
    Your feeble attempt to deflect is noted. The fact is, "conservatives" are not against education as you have charged. They are against the federal government exercising a power not granted by our Constitution, namely, taxing and spending on public school systems established under state constitutions.

    So, tell me, what wording in our federal Constitution grants power to Congress to tax and then spend on public school systems established under state constitutions?


    JWK


    The powers of the legislature are defined and limited; and that those limits may not be mistaken or forgotten, the constitution is written. To what purpose are powers limited, and to what purpose is that limitation committed to writing; if these limits may, at any time, be passed by those intended to be restrained? ______ MARBURY v. MADISON, 5 U.S. 137 (1803)

  28. Sponsored Links


  29. #104
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Somewhere in Amerexico
    Posts
    121,713
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnwk View Post
    Your feeble attempt to deflect is noted. The fact is, "conservatives" are not against education as you have charged. They are against the federal government exercising a power not granted by our Constitution, namely, taxing and spending on public school systems established under state constitutions.

    So, tell me, what wording in our federal Constitution grants power to Congress to tax and then spend on public school systems established under state constitutions?


    JWK


    The powers of the legislature are defined and limited; and that those limits may not be mistaken or forgotten, the constitution is written. To what purpose are powers limited, and to what purpose is that limitation committed to writing; if these limits may, at any time, be passed by those intended to be restrained? ______ MARBURY v. MADISON, 5 U.S. 137 (1803)
    Tsk tsk, you know the answer, it emanated from a magic penumbra.
    Self appointed forum Mark Zuckerberg, feel free to ask me if any news story is real or fake.

  30. Sponsored Links


  31. #105
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,781
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnwk View Post
    Your feeble attempt to deflect is noted. The fact is, "conservatives" are not against education as you have charged. They are against the federal government exercising a power not granted by our Constitution, namely, taxing and spending on public school systems established under state constitutions.

    So, tell me, what wording in our federal Constitution grants power to Congress to tax and then spend on public school systems established under state constitutions?
    I haven't spent a lot of time on this, but my 5-minute research comes up with:

    ARTICLE 1, SECTION 8

    The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;
    Now whether the Constitution is construed to limit "general Welfare" exclusively to the 17 items following that paragraph is subject to interpretation. I think we fought a civil war over the issue a while ago. But the last item does muddle the issue:

    To make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers, and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or Officer thereof.
    So far, most opinions have interpreted the Constitution as not preventing the Federal Government from providing financial assistance to States for various projects. However, you could change that. Given that most States receive about 28% of their budgets from the Federal Government, that might have some effect on the welfare of local citizens. But this isn't about what good for Americans, its about standing on principle and refusing to budge no matter how many people get hurt.

    As far as Conservative being anti-Education. You say that given a choice between more money for children's' education and having to pay taxes for it, you choose to keep the money. This is a common opinion among Conservatives. Public Education is always and everywhere condemned by Conservatives. I NEVER hear Conservative support for it. The little Conservative support I hear for education funding is for payments and tax credits for private schooling - a sort of welfare payment for the affluent (money again), taken from the poor and middle class who can't afford private school.

    So when I say Conservatives are anti-education, I'm simply repeating your position.
    Its still not bad enough, yet.

  32. Sponsored Links


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •