Page 1 of 54 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: My Mea Culpa

My Mood
    Quixotic
    Ideology
    Existential Nihilist
    Post Like Stats

Default My Mea Culpa

I honestly considered not coming back for a long while-I'm not exactly handling this too well-but I'm a guy who takes his licks when he's wrong. And there are few times in my life where I have been this totally off base in my whole life. So here we go:

I was wrong. Something unprecedented in American political history, something that breaks every hard and fast rule in politics, happened Tuesday night. I'm still at a loss to explain it.

Now, I've been very strident in my opposition of Trump and those who supported him this last year and while you shouldn't expect that to change, I offer this thread as penance. Feel free to take a victory lap on me, mock me for my predictions, my certainty, any of it. Even if everything I predicted was based on what every usual indicator said, I've paid the price for my hubris and expect to pay more here.

So have at it.
    "I responded in less than 48 Hours, Nick Nolte/
    Getting close like Nick Jonas, gripping the gauge/
    Then blaze off, Face/Off, bitch, Nicolas Cage."

2. Sponsored Links
    My Mood
    Ornery
    Ideology
    Independent
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Gaetano "Tommy" Lucchese View Post
    I honestly considered not coming back for a long while-I'm not exactly handling this too well-but I'm a guy who takes his licks when he's wrong. And there are few times in my life where I have been this totally off base in my whole life. So here we go:

I was wrong. Something unprecedented in American political history, something that breaks every hard and fast rule in politics, happened Tuesday night. I'm still at a loss to explain it.

Now, I've been very strident in my opposition of Trump and those who supported him this last year and while you shouldn't expect that to change, I offer this thread as penance. Feel free to take a victory lap on me, mock me for my predictions, my certainty, any of it. Even if everything I predicted was based on what every usual indicator said, I've paid the price for my hubris and expect to pay more here.

So have at it.
    I was just as surprised as you Tommy; and I also live in the Big 10 area which made the difference.

Post Like Stats

So have at it.
    Hey, you're in large company. As in: almost everyone.
    "The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering." -- Tom Waits

5. Likes bodecea, madasheck liked this post
    My Mood
    Quixotic
    Ideology
    Existential Nihilist
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by margaretms View Post
    Hey, you're in large company. As in: almost everyone.
    If there is one upside, and I honestly can't think of a single other one, I've learned a valuable lesson: becoming emotionally involved in politics, something I've never done before Trump, is a terrible ****ing idea. I hated the guy, still do, expect to hate him worse, but losing when you're this wrapped up in it is ****ing horrible. I dunno how people do this every two years.

7. Likes JohnRandolph, Guilds, force_field liked this post
  8. Sponsored Links
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Ideology
    Filthy Liberal
    Post Like Stats

So have at it.
    Yep, it was quite unexpected. I bumped my own jinx Trump Concession Speech thread for the same reason, to give the gloaters their due opp to gloat at my expense. Anyway, good form, T, and you're far from alone in this.
    "Don't believe those phony [job report] numbers, like 4.9%, 5% -- the real numbers are more like 28%, 29%, as high as 35%" - candidate Donald J. Trump, lying to American voters.

Blog Entries
    Post Like Stats

Meh, I have to give you a pass as I was predicting he would lose myself. Bummer.
    Self appointed forum Mark Zuckerberg, feel free to ask me if any news story is real or fake.

11. Likes Brack liked this post
    My Mood
    Observant
    Ideology
    Conservative
    Post Like Stats

Good morning brother, wisdom comes more often from failure than from success. And don't disappear. I value reading your posts, even when I don't agree with them.
    "I went to him and cried and told him he wouldn't make it, But this fighting, jumping on people ... this is all fun for them. This is what they like to do, you know, so how can you stop them?"

13. Likes srbedgood liked this post
    My Mood
    Quixotic
    Ideology
    Existential Nihilist
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by BigBear View Post
    Yep, it was quite unexpected. I bumped my own jinx Trump Concession Speech thread for the same reason, to give the gloaters their due opp to gloat at my expense. Anyway, good form, T, and you're far from alone in this.
    I'm gonna take my licks here and then I need a holiday from politics. Not just here but IRL.

I'm gonna have to come to grips with the fact that the only single thing I've ever been idealistic about was an illusion. Politics is fundamentally none of the things I thought it was.

I've definitely wasted the last decade of my life and that's a worse punishment than any gloating here could be.

15. Likes JohnRandolph liked this post
  16. Sponsored Links
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Ideology
    Filthy Liberal
    Post Like Stats

If there is one upside, and I honestly can't think of a single other one, I've learned a valuable lesson: becoming emotionally involved in politics, something I've never done before Trump, is a terrible ****ing idea. I hated the guy, still do, expect to hate him worse, but losing when you're this wrapped up in it is ****ing horrible. I dunno how people do this every two years.
    If you care about your country, it's impossible to not feel some emotion about outcomes like this. I tried comparing this one to how I might have felt if Obama had lost in 2012, and honestly I don't think it would have been as deeply affecting. Romney - Trump, there's just no comparison.
    "Don't believe those phony [job report] numbers, like 4.9%, 5% -- the real numbers are more like 28%, 29%, as high as 35%" - candidate Donald J. Trump, lying to American voters.

18. Likes reflechissez liked this post
    My Mood
    Sanguine
    Ideology
    Constitutionalist
    Blog Entries
    Post Like Stats

Humbling experience isn't it Tommy?

Knowing that everything you thought, everything you learned, everything you knew just went out the ****ing window.

As I've said before, my most humbling experience I every had is when realization I can live 10 lifetime and still not know half of what I need to know. I think you finally reach that point in your life.

Congrats.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women!

20. Likes SpadeMarlowe, W & C liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Post Like Stats

I'm gonna take my licks here and then I need a holiday from politics. Not just here but IRL.

I'm gonna have to come to grips with the fact that the only single thing I've ever been idealistic about was an illusion. Politics is fundamentally none of the things I thought it was.

I've definitely wasted the last decade of my life and that's a worse punishment than any gloating here could be.
    You had to know voters could make hash of predictive modeling by acting irregularly. It might not be likely to happen but the possibility always exists. This is the equivalent of having your house flooded when you didn't buy in a flood plain, **** happens.
    Self appointed forum Mark Zuckerberg, feel free to ask me if any news story is real or fake.

22. Likes SpadeMarlowe liked this post
    My Mood
    Devilish
    Ideology
    Independent
    Blog Entries
    Post Like Stats

It takes character to come back on and admit this sort of thing. Stick around if it isn't too distressing, your contributions are appreciated.

And you sure as hell weren't the only one to call this wrong.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men. - Willy Wonka

24. Likes SpadeMarlowe liked this post
  25. Sponsored Links
    My Mood
    Happy
    Ideology
    Conservative
    Post Like Stats

So have at it.
    Takes a man to admit being wrong. I have no desire to rub any ones nose in the election. I'm just happy and hopeful.

27. Likes SpadeMarlowe, Nebraska Football liked this post
    Post Like Stats

Who cares? You don't owe people an apology for being a dimocrat. It'seems only natural to defend your party and trash the other. We're all just talking here anyway, and none of it really matters in the long run.

What you and other dimocrat/ libs around the country owe an apology for is the constant drumbeat of "racist", "sexist", "homophobe", "islamaphobe", "bigot"....nonsense. I've been trying to get that point across to liberals for years and it only got worse in the national dialogue. It's even gotten worse in the past day and a half.

For ****'s sake, you people have been making donald trump out to be worse than hitler, stalin and mao and the guy is just a business man. And a lifelong, liberal dimocrat to boot. People are tired of that stuff. You want to apologize, apologize for that.
    Come Visit Beautiful, Scenic Jonestown

My Mood
    Sanguine
    Ideology
    Republican Party
    Post Like Stats

The board goes on....

I never lost hope because I saw his rallies keep increasing in size. In the last days of the election his views during rallies went from 25 K to 40 and 50K.
    And the next day they would have over 100K views. He had 50k Viewers at his last mid night rally...

I had to quit watching Fox news except Hannity and Dodds. Yes I was hiding from the "news" at the end, but the guy who predicted a Trump win did it on enthusiasm ... All the odd source predictions were correct... So, don't ignore the rallies...

We are so lucky to live in the USA, and during an inter-glacial warming period with

President Donald J. Trump as President