Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 161
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    The Republic
    Gender
    Male
    My Mood
    Offended
    Ideology
    Get off my lawn
    Posts
    142,992
    Rep Power
    30
    Post Like Stats

    Default I'm going to tell you a secret

    I always find it interesting when people go on and on about "sacrifice" and "service" etc.

    When I was a soldier, I didn't do it out of some noble sense of sacrifice for the general population. If you weren't on my Team, I didn't give a **** about you. You only mattered to the extent I could use you to get my mission done. The flag made me proud, but because of the people I worked with, not everybody.

    All this talk about "going in harm's way" was bull **** to me. It wasn't patriotism. It wasn't to "protect our freedoms" - when was the last time anybody was a real threat to us from the outside?

    I did it because I liked it and I was good at it. I liked the work. And I didn't care who the enemy was as long as they were fighters.

    I didn't sacrifice ****. The only reason I stopped was because I got too old and broken to keep up.

    Having done it doesn't buy me a pass on anything. It doesn't mean I need pity or even a thanks. "Thanks" for what? For having the time of my life? I was de facto governor of provinces, briefed and protected presidents of countries and fought along side some great people from different places.

    Now I'm not a soldier. I've learned to be nicer to people and maybe even care a little bit sometimes.

    We have some problems in this country. ISIS isn't going to do **** to us. We're going to do it to ourselves. We need to stop them from dividing us and start being honest with ourselves and each other. They're playing us and we dance for them for crumbs.

    Ruling Class v. Country Class is the division; not race, politics, religion, etc. I'm not going to listen to the agitators. I'm going to keep an open mind. I'm going to try to find the truth. No moral relativism. Just because somebody else got away with it doesn't make it right.

    I feel better now.
    "Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier"
    -Samuel Johnson

  2. Sponsored Links
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Gender
    Female
    My Mood
    Content
    Ideology
    Popeyesque
    Posts
    9,571
    Rep Power
    16
    Post Like Stats

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky SF Dude View Post
    <snipped>. I'm not going to listen to the agitators. I'm going to keep an open mind. I'm going to try to find the truth. No moral relativism. Just because somebody else got away with it doesn't make it right.

    I feel better now.
    agreed and

    as the relatively old tune said

    ..If you never know truth then you never know love...
    Woo hoo hoo, my my, woo hoo hoo

  4. #3
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    VanDownByTheRiver!!!!!
    Gender
    Male
    My Mood
    Exhausted
    Ideology
    Crusty Conservative
    Age
    41
    Posts
    19,224
    Rep Power
    50
    Post Like Stats

    Default

    Thank you for your service.



    Lol, couldn't resist. Don't find me and kill me for sport.
    If Peeing Your Pants Is Cool Consider Me Miles Davis

  5. Likes kate, Physics Hunter, FlameHeart, markdido liked this post
  6. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Southern Ohio Hills
    Gender
    Male
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Ideology
    Conservative Libertarian
    Posts
    19,213
    Rep Power
    19
    Post Like Stats

    Default

    This is the thread I just cannot think of any response to. I usually can at least think of a response to most any thread, even if I don't respond. I'm stumped here. You made your point, & I'm left with nothing to really say. You pretty much covered it. Best I can think of to say is I'm glad you feel better.
    Last edited by Ceasar; July 12th, 2016 at 10:49 pm.
    "They perish because they refused to love the truth...For this reason God sends them a powerful delusion so that they will believe the lie...who have not believed the truth but have delighted in evil"

  7. Likes kate liked this post
  8. Sponsored Links
  9. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Bama Nation
    Gender
    Male
    My Mood
    Content
    Ideology
    Get off my lawn
    Posts
    73,139
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    29
    Post Like Stats

    Default



    best OP posted here in a long time. I love honesty
    “Wrinkles will only go where the smiles have been. ”
    ― Jimmy Buffett

  10. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Gender
    Female
    My Mood
    Sanguine
    Ideology
    Democratic Party
    Posts
    21,346
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    18
    Post Like Stats

    Default

    Love you. But you know that.

  11. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Gender
    Male
    My Mood
    Apathetic
    Ideology
    Get off my lawn
    Posts
    17,400
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    10
    Post Like Stats

    Default

    i wasnt going to thank you anyways..ever..
    The beauty that is the ugliness of the right. " They demand accountability for anger and divisiveness, while holding themselves entirely unaccountable for their anger and divisiveness"

  12. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Gender
    Male
    My Mood
    Sanguine
    Ideology
    Republican Party
    Posts
    62,331
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    0
    Post Like Stats

    Default

    A 1950s lib beat up sneaky and started posting for him.

  13. Likes markdido, Dr. Funkenstein liked this post
  14. Sponsored Links
  15. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Gender
    Male
    My Mood
    Naughty
    Ideology
    Anarchist
    Posts
    12,151
    Rep Power
    7
    Post Like Stats

    Default

    Well not everybody is like Sneaky

  16. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Gender
    Female
    My Mood
    Sanguine
    Ideology
    Democratic Party
    Posts
    21,346
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    18
    Post Like Stats

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Plasmaball View Post
    i wasnt going to thank you anyways..ever..
    Come on, now...

  17. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Gender
    Male
    My Mood
    Naughty
    Ideology
    Anarchist
    Posts
    12,151
    Rep Power
    7
    Post Like Stats

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mozysafe View Post
    A 1950s lib beat up sneaky and started posting for him.
    I bet he started smokin teh weeeeeeed

  18. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Gender
    Female
    My Mood
    Sanguine
    Ideology
    Democratic Party
    Posts
    21,346
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    18
    Post Like Stats

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phijw View Post
    I bet he started smokin teh weeeeeeed
    Come on, now.

  19. Sponsored Links
  20. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Gender
    Male
    My Mood
    Naughty
    Ideology
    Anarchist
    Posts
    12,151
    Rep Power
    7
    Post Like Stats

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LucyLou View Post
    Come on, now.
    Meow!

  21. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Gender
    Male
    My Mood
    Apathetic
    Ideology
    Get off my lawn
    Posts
    17,400
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    10
    Post Like Stats

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LucyLou View Post
    Come on, now...
    nope..i find this crap about calling every firefighter, soldier, cops medical person a hero stupid. makes me cringe more than anything else. My sister is in the navy and you want to know how big of a tard she is? shes not a hero, shes a person who cant function outside of the structure the military gives her.
    The beauty that is the ugliness of the right. " They demand accountability for anger and divisiveness, while holding themselves entirely unaccountable for their anger and divisiveness"

  22. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Aloha, OR
    Posts
    18,465
    Rep Power
    16
    Post Like Stats

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Plasmaball View Post
    nope..i find this crap about calling every firefighter, soldier, cops medical person a hero stupid. makes me cringe more than anything else. My sister is in the navy and you want to know how big of a tard she is? shes not a hero, shes a person who cant function outside of the structure the military gives her.
    Aside from the broadbrush, Plasma does have a point. Nobody talks about the people who are given the choice between signing up or going to prison. Last people on Earth I would want to train to kill people, but then our government isn't exactly big on long term thinking.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •