9th grader arrested for bringing homemade clock to school - Page 158

Page 158 of 192 FirstFirst ... 58108148156157158159160168 ... LastLast
Results 2,356 to 2,370 of 2866

Default 9th grader arrested for bringing homemade clock to school

Incoming news from Texas

IRVING — Ahmed Mohamed — who makes his own radios and repairs his own go-kart — hoped to impress his teachers when he brought a homemade clock to MacArthur High on Monday.Instead, the school phoned police about Ahmed’s circuit-stuffed pencil case.
    So the 14-year-old missed the student council meeting and took a trip in handcuffs to juvenile detention. His clock now sits in an evidence room. Police say they may yet charge him with making a hoax bomb — though they acknowledge he told everyone who would listen that it’s a clock.
    In the meantime, Ahmed’s been suspended, his father is upset and the Council on American-Islamic Relations is once again eyeing claims of Islamophobia in Irving.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/commu...-to-school.ece

We're on Hannity, so of course "it's not about race" enter whatever other ******** you please... I'll give it a sec... Ok, now that we've gotten that out of the way, why did this happen??? Why is a kid, who by all accounts appears to be absolutely brilliant potentially facing charges, for being brilliant?

How can people say there isn't a race problem in America when things like this happen? Just earlier this week, I saw a user here bragging about the fact that he and numerous others quote unquote, "harassed" the local mosque only to have the police finally shoo them off with a wink and a smile. I don't have an argument here, I'm just exasperated at the notion this crap still happens and yet people swear up and down "All Lives Matter"-- That's ********... All lives DO NOT matter in this country and they never have. I'm not of Arabic descent, nor am I Muslim, or of any faith and yet my heart PAINS for this kid cause I understand the intersectionality of our struggles. Of our people. If all lives matter then why can't we all just be... Why do we have to rail against latinos and call them all illegal immigrants. Why do we have to kill unarmed black people and call them thugs? Why do have to profile kids that are trying to be the LEADERS of our next generation as terrorists??? This country is ****ed up and our OWN xenophobia will be our demise.
    Last edited by Native Sun; September 15th, 2015 at 10:00 pm.
    No one is asking you to apologize for your ancestors. We're asking you to dismantle the system they created, that you maintain and benefit from.

2. Sponsored Links

3. Likes 7ranz, RAJ liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by MXdad View Post
    But I could counter that by saying to many times I have seen white kids suspended for a drawing of a gun, a pop tart or pointing a finger and going bang bang.

Fact is that it all boils down to the same underlying issue no matter what the race of the kid. That issue is an over reaction and lack of common sense

The issue is an over reaction and lack of common sense. Yes White kids do get suspended for a drawing of a gun, a pop tart or pointing a finger and going bang bang.

I have no problem when there is equal treatment. I've seen a number of school where all kids are treated the same.

I've also seen a number of schools where you had different treatment based on race/religion. You have the same number of white kids and Hispanic kids doing the same thing,n a few white kids get suspended, a lot of Hispanic kids get suspended but that's ok they're Hispanic and you did suspend a few white kids.

I've seen unequal treatment so many times that when I see something like this my first question is he being treated like this because of race/religion?

5. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tguns View Post
    At first my reaction to this story was "Oh come on, now we're just getting ridiculous". But thinking back to the great pop-tart gun tragedy....stupid crap like this is just becoming too much common place. These idiotic "zero tolerance" policies combined with the irrational "we're all gonna die" beliefs we get from the insecure bunch is simply going to produce idiocy like this.

Sometimes I really wish we could just hand out fuzzy blankets and pacifiers and tell everyone they are on their own.
    Your exactly right it has become common place we accept that it's the new normal and run off and argue along political/racial lines and guess what? It just happens over and over again
    “Remember the first rule of gunfighting … have a gun.”

7. Sponsored Links

That's why I was not really surprised, if folks will over react to a pop tart shaped like a gun then over reacting to a clock is not a stretch
    That pretty much sums it up well, except for those being obstinate.

It's neither denying or approving of the way the authorities over reactions. If the standards of sensitivity go to ridiculous extremes then these incidents will happen.
    Unless you already know what you don't already know, it doesn't exist.

9. Sponsored Links

I really don't care anymore either way, plugged in or battery it really makes no difference does it? Clock or pop tart the underlying issue is still the same, adults over reacting and throwing common sense out the window in the name of zero tolerance
    A battery would make his timer box contraption more bomb worthy.
    Unless you already know what you don't already know, it doesn't exist.

11. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fava View Post
    Well look at the other fool, Richard Dawkins posting much the same thought.
    Because you are unable to comprehend something does not make it stupid ****. It makes you a stupid ****.
    So because Dawkins says so it must be true? He also thinks their is no god. Does that make him correct as well?
    Lol..
    The beauty that is the ugliness of the right. " They demand accountability for anger and divisiveness, while holding themselves entirely unaccountable for their anger and divisiveness"

13. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmaball View Post
    So because Dawkins says so it must be true? He also thinks their is no god. Does that make him correct as well?
    Lol..
    Let's see? Shall I believe Dawkins...or you?
    No wonder you are the king of fools.

15. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Do you think Dawkins has access to information that the rest of us don't?

17. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Some of you have been scammed.

Seems you were a good CEC minion and listened to Rush today. I thought it was funny to listen to Rush try to take the kid down, but he ended up sounding jealous of the attention the kid is receiving for the thuggish actions of the school and police.

19. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Do you find it hard to believe that an object can be in a bookbag/backpack and be plugged into an outlet? Really? I have to say that is hilarious
    She's apparently never been to an airport.
    NRA Certified Instructor, RSO, CRSO. If you want to learn about the NRA? Ask me.
    Without the 1st & 2nd Amendments the rest of The Constitution is meaningless
    Don't blame me, I voted for Cruz!

21. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmaball View Post
    What was the overall goal to fool his teachers in making a clock?
    He didn't invent the clock,he never claimed he did. He took 20 minutes and put it in the pencil case. He wanted to show his teacher and get positive feedback. You know show he is trying and learning. Thankfully you are not a teacher there so you could **** all over his project.

Had you read any of the articles you would know he fixes radios, go karts and lawnmowers.
    You didn't so you look like a fool
    He claimed he built a clock to impress his teacher.

"I built a clock to impress my teacher but when I showed it to her, she thought it was a threat to her," Ahmed told reporters Wednesday. "It was really sad that she took the wrong impression of it."
    http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/16/us/tex...im-clock-bomb/

He didn't build anything.
    NRA Certified Instructor, RSO, CRSO. If you want to learn about the NRA? Ask me.

23. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Who View Post
    From the Irving County School handbook, page 47:

http://www.irvingisd.net/cms/lib010/...%20ENGLISH.pdf

I can only imagine what it would be like to have kids with electrical cords running across the classroom, charging up their devices from their backpacks.

Yeah, makes sense in a large school system. /s

Probably some teachers allow limited access in some schools. It doesn't appear the case here, according to the rules, unless permission is given.

He obviously did not have permission, and it doesn't make sense he would plug it in without attracting the teachers attention before it made any sounds.

It makes a lot more sense a 9V battery was attached, and after the police ripped it apart, took out the battery.

A cath lab is not a public high school.
    There is no Irving County Schools in Texas. The pictures we have most certainly don't show his device was ripped apart by police or anyone else.

There is no mention of a battery in any of these stories but there is a clear statement that he plugged it in during English class which is what started this whole mess.

You continue making claims not supported by any known fact which are in contravention of the facts that are known.

Give it up.

25. Sponsored Links

26. Likes RWReaganfan liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mozysafe View Post
    Zero tolerance has been an issue for a long time. Random anecdote, but former NFL lineman Ryan Lilja (superbowl with the colts in 2006) missed his entire senior season in high school because he happened to be at a party where there was alcohol. He wasn't even drinking.

The mass colon evacuation was because the kid's name was Ahmed Mohamed. I mean, no one can "prove" that per se, but we all know that's why.
    No we don't know that. Some of you want to cry racism and Islamophobia simply because he's dark skinned and a Muslim and that makes you no better than those who would use race and religion as an excuse to violate his rights.

28. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

I don't care
    The beauty that is the ugliness of the right. " They demand accountability for anger and divisiveness, while holding themselves entirely unaccountable for their anger and divisiveness"

30. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Your exactly right it has become common place we accept that it's the new normal and run off and argue along political/racial lines and guess what? It just happens over and over again
    Think about it for a minute.... .

We have a whole bunch of people cheering this kid on because he did something they feel is praiseworthy but what he actually did was take the parts out of a clock and stick them in a metal box claiming he built something of his own.

This is the equivalent of a kid reading a story, printing it off and putting it in a folder claiming he wrote the story.

He's no better than anyone who's ever committed plagiarism or stole someone else's work and claimed it for their own.

PT Barnum was right, there's a sucker born every minute and this kid attracts them like fly paper.

32. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

I don't care

34. Sponsored Links