Page 91 of 91 FirstFirst ... 4181899091
Results 1,351 to 1,353 of 1353
    My Mood
    Calm
    Ideology
    Christian Conservative
    Blog Entries
    Post Like Stats

Default Does receiving the Eucharist give eternal life?

Does the Eucharist (to use Catholic terminology) give you eternal life? That was a question I asked in a different thread.

The latter part of John chapter 6 seems to be saying (from a literal reading) that unless one eats the flesh of the son of Man and drinks his blood, that person does not have life. Conversely, if a person eats the flesh of the son of Man and drinks his blood, that man will have eternal life (not just temporarily).

The following out of context passage, for your consideration:

52 The Jews then disputed among themselves, saying, “How can this man give us his flesh to eat?” So Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you have no life in you; he who eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. For my flesh is food indeed, and my blood is drink indeed. He who eats my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me, and I in him. As the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so he who eats me will live because of me. This is the bread which came down from heaven, not such as the fathers ate and died; he who eats this bread will live for ever.” John 6:52-58 taken from the RSVCE

Comments and Questions are welcome. Insults, innuendos and rude remarks are not.

Discuss
    Last edited by Christian; February 7th, 2015 at 8:36 am.
    The great enemy of truth is not so much the lie (deliberate, contrived and dishonest) but the myth (persistent, persuasive and unrealistic).

2. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
    He apparently took your "anyone can..." the same way I did.
    So it would seem. It happens when English is not someone's first language. Or when they do not have a mastery of said language.

4. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Content
    Ideology
    Independent
    Blog Entries
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
    Not really, read up on "closed communion".
    I looked it up. The Baptist Church i went to as a kid was like that. But when they passed the communion dish nobody checked to make sure only Church members took communion. I dated a catholic girl back in the day and her family always went to midnight Mass and I knew better cause I wasn't a Catholic or a member of any Church at the time. I passed it up cause I fiugured i was gonna have plenty to account for anyway, if you know what I mean buddy

“Wrinkles will only go where the smiles have been. ”
    ― Jimmy Buffett

6. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Content
    Ideology
    Independent
    Blog Entries
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Guvnah View Post
    And right there is an example of why it's a little bit of both sides of the discussion.

You're right. Committed discipleship -- to me that means an active effort to seek more -- IS an act of will. True discipleship is not mere membership in a club. It is a constant growth in closeness to the movement or creed or philosophy of the subject.
    yes it is. Submitting to the Holy Spirit 's lead is a component as well i think.

“Wrinkles will only go where the smiles have been. ”
    ― Jimmy Buffett

8. Sponsored Links