; You Guys REALLY Want to Preserve the Sanctity of Marriage? - Page 3

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 124
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    The Land of Confusion
    Posts
    14,229
    Blog Entries
    13
    Rep Power
    19

    Default You Guys REALLY Want to Preserve the Sanctity of Marriage?

    Quit worrying about politics and gays.

    sanc·ti·ty
    ˈsaNG(k)titē/Submit
    noun
    noun: sanctity; plural noun: sanctities
    the state or quality of being holy, sacred, or saintly.
    "the site of the tomb was a place of sanctity for the ancient Egyptians"
    synonyms: holiness, godliness, blessedness, saintliness, spirituality, piety, piousness, devoutness, righteousness, goodness, virtue, purity; More
    ultimate importance and inviolability.
    "the sanctity of human life"
    synonyms: inviolability; More
    Origin

    late Middle English (in the sense ‘saintliness’): from Old French sainctite, reinforced by Latin sanctitas, from sanctus ‘holy.’


    Until we as Christians treat marriage as the sacred bond that it is, then we have no right 'defending' it.

    Quite frankly, it needs defending from us.

    I am so tired of hearing men and women whom I know to be covering for friends affairs, or having their own, or not being the spouses they should be, complain about gay marriage.

    You want marriage to be sacred again? Start at your house.

    Otherwise we look like a laughingstock and a bunch of hypocrites playing musical spouses till we're too old to pick up chicks anymore.
    Last edited by The Girl from Ipanema; June 29th, 2014 at 11:30 am.
    Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by jerks.


  2. Sponsored Links


  3. #31
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    The Land of Confusion
    Posts
    14,229
    Blog Entries
    13
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Because G-d hates divorce
    Because of what divorce does to the family unit for generations
    Because he is my husband.
    Because where we are isn't all his fault
    Because I was unknowingly menopausal through at least 5 years of it adding to the problems I'm certain
    Because it's the right thing to do.
    Because I don't want my children's marriages to start with the exit door propped open
    Because I know his true spirit
    Because I know that if he came home, that would mean that he is now willing to be more involved in the partnership
    Because I want to sit on the front porch with him and watch our grandchildren run about
    Because I want him sitting next to me at the table in Heaven
    Because I believe that G-d is bigger than any problems that we have experienced and with Him at the head of our family, we can't lose.
    Because I am able to forgive.

    Why wait, you ask? What am I supposed to do? Run out and start looking for a replacement? It doesn't work that way.

    anything more personal we can discuss in pm if you like as this thread is not about me, but about the state of marriage in our country and the improper focus of the 'defenders'.
    Last edited by The Girl from Ipanema; July 6th, 2014 at 11:45 am.
    Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by jerks.


  4. Sponsored Links


  5. Likes Christian liked this post
  6. #32
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    In a house
    Posts
    42,505
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Girl from Ipanema View Post
    Well, in my state, according to the law, you enforce it thusly:

    Any person guilty of the crime of adultery shall be guilty of a felony and punished by imprisonment in the State Penitentiary not exceeding five (5) years or by a fine not exceeding Five Hundred Dollars ($500.00), or by both such fine and imprisonment.
    Five years or $500? How old is this law? It appears to me to be very old and dare I say outdated in that the fine is not comparable to the time. If I were given the choice between 5 years or $500 I would pay the fine every time and not give it a second thought. Nor would it be much of a deterrent to breaking whatever law it was part of.
    .

  7. Sponsored Links


  8. #33
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    The Land of Confusion
    Posts
    14,229
    Blog Entries
    13
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    It probably is an old law. It's never going to be much of a deterrent if the powers that be refuse to hear the cases anyway.
    Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by jerks.


  9. Sponsored Links


  10. #34
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Brown University
    Age
    49
    Posts
    19,947
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Girl from Ipanema View Post
    Well, in my state, according to the law, you enforce it thusly:

    Any person guilty of the crime of adultery shall be guilty of a felony and punished by imprisonment in the State Penitentiary not exceeding five (5) years or by a fine not exceeding Five Hundred Dollars ($500.00), or by both such fine and imprisonment.
    Well, I'm glad I don't live in that state.

    I'm glad I don't live in countries like Sudan, where the punishment for adultery is death by stoning, which makes death in the electric chair look like a picnic by comparison.

    I'm sorry, but I can't agree w the premise of this thread.

    There's divorce court for adulterous marriages, & I'm neither Christian, nor do I care if two women or two men want to get married.

    However, I don't wish to see the other side silenced. If they oppose it for whatever reason, & they're not slandering anyone, they should be able to speak, too.

  11. Sponsored Links


  12. #35
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Brown University
    Age
    49
    Posts
    19,947
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Girl from Ipanema View Post
    Because G-d hates divorce
    Because of what divorce does to the family unit for generations
    Because he is my husband.
    Because where we are isn't all his fault
    Because I was unknowingly menopausal through at least 5 years of it adding to the problems I'm certain
    Because it's the right thing to do.
    Because I don't want my children's marriages to start with the exit door propped open
    Because I know his true spirit
    Because I know that if he came home, that would mean that he is now willing to be more involved in the partnership
    Because I want to sit on the front porch with him and watch our grandchildren run about
    Because I want him sitting next to me at the table in Heaven
    Because I believe that G-d is bigger than any problems that we have experienced and with Him at the head of our family, we can't lose.
    Because I am able to forgive.

    Why wait, you ask? What am I supposed to do? Run out and start looking for a replacement? It doesn't work that way.

    anything more personal we can discuss in pm if you like as this thread is not about me, but about the state of marriage in our country and the improper focus of the 'defenders'.
    "Unknowingly menopausal"? What woman doesn't go thru that unless they die prematurely?

    I'm sorry, but I agree w Pessimist on this.

    I don't think anyone enters marriage w the exit door automatically propped open, & sometimes I wonder if maybe it's the divorced folks who have it right. Just because someone ends up in a toxic waste dump doesn't mean they need to stay there. I think sometimes couples staying put in unhealthy marriages sets a destructive example for any children involved, teaches them that "Hey, this behavior is bad, but it's normal to expect & put up with it in a marriage." Depending on what it is, it may not be.

    I truly don't believe all children of divorced parents end up divorced themselves. Not all religions have a Christian POV on the subject of divorce. I don't see the U S as a Christian nation, nor do I see all divorced people as fighting against gay folks getting married.

  13. Sponsored Links


  14. #36
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    The Land of Confusion
    Posts
    14,229
    Blog Entries
    13
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    I think where we all disagree is whether or not a soured relationship is repairable.
    I think its better to teach a child what faith and work and forgiveness can heal rather than how long do I have to wait to quit.
    I'm not saying there is never ever ever any excuse for divorce, but I am saying that especially in the Christian community and communities that claim to want to protect its sanctity it's become too easy and couples don't really try to make it work, because they don't have to.

    Yes divorce if your life is at risk or you are being abused and your spouse won't get help, but make sure you've done EVERYTHING in your power to prevent it.

    But if someone is going to stand up and say that such and such group can't get married because it's Sacred, then they might want to treat it as if it's sacred.

    No?

    Divorce is never G-d's best for us.
    Last edited by The Girl from Ipanema; July 6th, 2014 at 10:55 pm.
    Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by jerks.


  15. Sponsored Links


  16. Likes srbedgood liked this post
  17. #37
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Valhalla
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,425
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sponge bob View Post
    "unknowingly menopausal"? What woman doesn't go thru that unless they die prematurely?

    i'm sorry, but i agree w pessimist on this.

    i don't think anyone enters marriage w the exit door automatically propped open, & sometimes i wonder if maybe it's the divorced folks who have it right. Just because someone ends up in a toxic waste dump doesn't mean they need to stay there. I think sometimes couples staying put in unhealthy marriages sets a destructive example for any children involved, teaches them that "hey, this behavior is bad, but it's normal to expect & put up with it in a marriage." depending on what it is, it may not be.

    I truly don't believe all children of divorced parents end up divorced themselves. Not all religions have a christian pov on the subject of divorce. I don't see the u s as a christian nation, nor do i see all divorced people as fighting against gay folks getting married.

    Thank You!

  18. Sponsored Links


  19. #38
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    The Land of Confusion
    Posts
    14,229
    Blog Entries
    13
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    The point is not to stay in a state of misery. The point is to fix it.

    It's not rocket surgery.



    You guys are welcome to your beliefs, but if people are going to stand up and say that marriage is sacred, they need to act like it really is.
    Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by jerks.


  20. Sponsored Links


  21. Likes Christian liked this post
  22. #39
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    In a house
    Posts
    42,505
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    ?

    What is rocket surgery? Do rockets become ill or injured that they need a physician?
    .

  23. Sponsored Links


  24. #40
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    In a house
    Posts
    42,505
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sponge Bob View Post
    "Unknowingly menopausal"? What woman doesn't go thru that unless they die prematurely?

    I'm sorry, but I agree w Pessimist on this.

    I don't think anyone enters marriage w the exit door automatically propped open, & sometimes I wonder if maybe it's the divorced folks who have it right. Just because someone ends up in a toxic waste dump doesn't mean they need to stay there. I think sometimes couples staying put in unhealthy marriages sets a destructive example for any children involved, teaches them that "Hey, this behavior is bad, but it's normal to expect & put up with it in a marriage." Depending on what it is, it may not be.

    I truly don't believe all children of divorced parents end up divorced themselves. Not all religions have a Christian POV on the subject of divorce. I don't see the U S as a Christian nation, nor do I see all divorced people as fighting against gay folks getting married.
    There is no monolithic, unified Christian view on marriage or divorce.
    .

  25. Sponsored Links


  26. #41
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    In a house
    Posts
    42,505
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    To those that believe divorce, or remarriage after a divorce is a sin, I have a few questions.

    1. Does God forgive sins?
    2. Are there any sins that cannot be forgiven?
    3. Is remarriage after divorce adultery?
    4. Does God forgive adultery?
    5. If someone divorces and remarries, how do they go about seeking God's forgiveness? What must they do?
    .

  27. Sponsored Links


  28. #42
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    The Land of Confusion
    Posts
    14,229
    Blog Entries
    13
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    I'm not sure what your questions have to do with the high divorce rate among people who claim to be for 'protecting' marriage.

    As to your leading questions, I don't know how G-d sees it when people presume upon His forgiveness, when are not really repentant.
    Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by jerks.


  29. Sponsored Links


  30. #43
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    In a house
    Posts
    42,505
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Girl from Ipanema View Post
    I'm not sure what your questions have to do with the high divorce rate among people who claim to be for 'protecting' marriage.

    As to your leading questions, I don't know how G-d sees it when people presume upon His forgiveness, when are not really repentant.
    Then I guess we can't have a discussion about it. That's too bad.
    Last edited by Koushi Shinigami; July 7th, 2014 at 10:17 am.
    .

  31. Sponsored Links


  32. #44
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    The Land of Confusion
    Posts
    14,229
    Blog Entries
    13
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    We can, but you need to make your point and don't waste time with leading questions.

    Of course He forgives sins.
    Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit
    yes
    yes G-d if faithful to forgive our sins if we are truly repentant. If one prays for forgiveness for adultery, then continues committing it, does that indicate real repentance?
    That's a good question. If one divorces and remarries even though scripture admonishes against it, does that indicate repentance or does it amount to thumbing your nose at G-d?

    If your questions were leading to the idea that we can live in adultery and still be in G-ds favor, then why can't one live in a homosexual relationship and be in His favor as well?

    It can't be both ways.
    Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by jerks.


  33. Sponsored Links


  34. #45
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    In a house
    Posts
    42,505
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Girl from Ipanema View Post
    We can, but you need to make your point and don't waste time with leading questions.

    Of course He forgives sins.
    Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit
    yes
    yes G-d if faithful to forgive our sins if we are truly repentant. If one prays for forgiveness for adultery, then continues committing it, does that indicate real repentance?
    That's a good question. If one divorces and remarries even though scripture admonishes against it, does that indicate repentance or does it amount to thumbing your nose at G-d?

    (Snip)
    Thank you. I thought it was a good question as well.

    Still I'm not sure how someone goes about repenting of a remarriage after a divorce. How does someone do that? What source can we go to for an answer to that question? What does that source tell us is to be done?
    .

  35. Sponsored Links


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •