Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    My Mood
    Sardonic
    Ideology
    Existential Nihilist
    Post Like Stats

Default Is iq important?

as we all know there are multiple forms of intelligence, and a test cannot fully gage ones true intelligence. we also must take into consideration the cultural bias at play.

is having a high iq such a big deal?
    Last edited by jonas; June 27th, 2014 at 12:27 am.

2. Sponsored Links

Ideology
    Classical Liberal
    Post Like Stats

IQ is important for the advancement of society and anybody who says it's not is probably jealous.

I doubt any Nobel Prize winners will fall under 120 IQ.

In fact, the higher average IQ in a population, the more prosperous that society tends to be.

. we also must take into consideration the cultural bias at play.
    There are IQ tests with minimal words, and just patterns and symbols. Cultural bias is minimal and used as an excuse.

4. Sponsored Links

Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Late2TheParty View Post
    IQ is important for the advancement of society and anybody who says it's not is probably jealous.

I doubt any Nobel Prize winners will fall under 120 IQ.

In fact, the higher average IQ in a population, the more prosperous that society tends to be.

There are IQ tests with minimal words, and just patterns and symbols. Cultural bias is minimal and used as an excuse.

So an IQ score is an accurate indicator of ones success in life?

How do you define success? The ability to put a puzzle together in 30 seconds? Becoming a chess master? Solving math equations inside your head?

There are MENSA members who are losers in life- they've never developed into anything. The nurse with the 105-115 IQ is contributing to society; the musician with the 95-100 IQ is contributing to the world via their art.

You must take into consideration emotional intelligence, social skills, creative ability, work ethic, education, and the will to power. An IQ score does NOT equate to success or prosperity.

It's true that many of the most successful and innovative people this world has ever known had high IQs, but I think you'd discover that it wasn't their test score that got them there.

When Steven Hawking was asked the question: What is your IQ?
    He replied: I have no idea. People who boast about their IQ are losers.

6. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Lazy
    Ideology
    Rightwing Nutjob
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by optimist View Post
    So an IQ score is an accurate indicator of ones success in life?

How do you define success? The ability to put a puzzle together in 30 seconds? Becoming a chess master? Solving math equations inside your head?

There are MENSA members who are losers in life- they've never developed into anything. The nurse with the 105-115 IQ is contributing to society; the musician with the 95-100 IQ is contributing to the world via their art.

You must take into consideration emotional intelligence, social skills, creative ability, work ethic, education, and the will to power. An IQ score does NOT equate to success or prosperity.

It's true that many of the most successful and innovative people this world has ever known had high IQs, but I think you'd discover that it wasn't their test score that got them there.

When Steven Hawking was asked the question: What is your IQ?
    He replied: I have no idea. People who boast about their IQ are losers.
    are you really going to pretend to be so dumb that you will pretend to think you do not know what was being said?
    On what level are such retarded tools necessary to win an Internet argument?

8. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Meditative
    Ideology
    Conservative
    Post Like Stats

Decided to take the personality disorder test for fun.

Paranoid |||||||||||||||||| 79% 50%
    Schizoid |||||||||||||||| 61% 40%
    Schizotypal |||||||||||||| 55% 56%
    Antisocial |||||||||||||| 56% 46%
    Borderline |||||||||||||||||||| 84% 45%
    Histrionic |||||||||||||| 56% 52%
    Narcissistic |||||||||||| 48% 40%
    Avoidant |||||||||||||||||||||| 91% 48%
    Dependent |||||||||||||||| 70% 44%
    Obsessive-Compulsive |||||||||||||||||| 80% 45%
    *scores in gray are the average web score
    Last edited by FlameHeart; March 4th, 2017 at 5:59 pm.
    "Ignis aurum probat"

10. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Meditative
    Ideology
    Conservative
    Post Like Stats

Type is INFJ.
    "Ignis aurum probat"

12. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Meditative
    Ideology
    Conservative
    Post Like Stats

Ennegram is 4 with balanced wings; I have no idea what my socionics type is though.
    "Ignis aurum probat"

14. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Meditative
    Ideology
    Conservative
    Post Like Stats

In regards to the OP, I'm straddling both sides on this one. IQ may mean a lot because it might denote other things such as higher creativity (though according to psychologists, it also means imposing one's will onto the world) yet IQ in and of itself I don't think is significant.

There are different types of intelligence, wisdom, etc.; some people are street smart and some are book smart. Some are both. (I know this is almost three years ago, but it's impolite of me to not respond to the OP if I decide to comment on a thread...)
    "Ignis aurum probat"

16. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Chilled like fine wine
    Ideology
    Independent
    Post Like Stats

Like anything else, IQ is a piece of the puzzle. It can tell how much a person can learn, but the person still needs to do the work to learn. They can't just lie down on a book and absorb the information via osmosis.

A person with a lower IQ can be just as clever and knowledgeable as a person with a higher IQ because they've put in the effort. I have a 130 IQ, but before college I was lazy as ****. MY GPA in high school was 2.6 and I was the definition of average (134th out of 267 in my graduating class). Even in my first few years of school, I thought I could cruise by on pure intelligence without doing the work to learn anything. It took me four years and five different majors before I grew up, found accounting and got down to work. Even today I occasionally fall into bad habits and think I can just "be smarter than the job" to get things done, and it doesn't go well.

A friend of mine from high school who had a 108 IQ worked her ASS off in HS, went to an accelerated pre-med program at Kent State and became a full-fledged doctor at 24. She now has her own practice in Kansas, and I'm dead certain if you talked to anyone they would tell you she's smarter than I am.

Sometimes it is the people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one can imagine

18. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Calm
    Ideology
    Republican Party
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by FlameHeart View Post
    In regards to the OP, I'm straddling both sides on this one. IQ may mean a lot because it might denote other things such as higher creativity (though according to psychologists, it also means imposing one's will onto the world) yet IQ in and of itself I don't think is significant.

There are different types of intelligence, wisdom, etc.; some people are street smart and some are book smart. Some are both. (I know this is almost three years ago, but it's impolite of me to not respond to the OP if I decide to comment on a thread...)
    You're right, but it's what you do with your gifts that matter. Like any other gift, having a higher than normal IQ puts you at a better starting point. Among other things, this can put you at an advantage.

20. Sponsored Links

21. Likes FlameHeart liked this post
    My Mood
    Defiant
    Ideology
    Constitutionalist
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by jonas View Post
    as we all know there are multiple forms of intelligence, and a test cannot fully gage ones true intelligence. we also must take into consideration the cultural bias at play.

is having a high iq such a big deal?
    It's my opinion that IQ is less important than drive. Obviously there's a point of where IQ is harmful on both ends of the scale. I've seen engineers so smart they can't operate in society. I've also seen the other end of the spectrum where it's really a disability. That's a pretty wide range though.

To me, success is 80% drive, 10% intellect, 10% luck. Of course, that's just my opinion.
    If prison is good enough for Kristian Saucier over 6 photos on a private cell phone, Hillary should face prison for having classified information on a private server and private cell phones.

23. Sponsored Links