Rand Paul: "Republicans have "gone completely crazy" on voter identification" - Page 8

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Default Rand Paul: "Republicans have "gone completely crazy" on voter identification"

“Everybody’s gone completely crazy on this voter ID thing,” Sen. Paul said in an interview with the New York Times this week. “I think it’s wrong for Republicans to go too crazy on this issue because it’s offending people.”

Speaking to the county Republican organization in Houston in February, Paul warned that Texas "will be a Democratic state within 10 years if you don't change."

"That doesn't mean we give up on what we believe in, but it means we have to be a more welcoming party,” Paul said. “We have to welcome people of all races. We need to welcome people of all classes – business class, working class … We need a more diverse party. We need a party that looks like America.”

LINK

So is Rand Paul trying to save the GOP in the longer term? I believe so. The GOP seems content to try winning in the short term, without a thought about changing demographics that could kill the GOP in the future. The GOP is playing checkers by relying completely on a shrinking white vote. Rand Paul is playing chess.

Although I disagree with Paul on tons of issues, I am developing a deep respect for his ability to go outside the lines the GOP seems to have drawn as far as party orthodoxy.

That's a big reason that I think he will be a Senator remembered by history. We don't see guys like that come around often these days.

Doug
    Last edited by ddye; May 12th, 2014 at 3:37 pm.
    Lots of original music and embarrassing pictures!

2. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by EnchantedFrog View Post
    Sorry, Doug. It's NOT a laughing matter. Don't try to blow it off with a smiley.

"North Carolina’s Board of Elections found that tens of thousands of registered voters from the state have personal information matching that of registered voters in other states, and appear to have voted in states other than North Carolina in 2012. In some cases, votes were cast under names of individuals who had passed away before Election Day."

LINK

Is it too much to ask that the voter roles be maintained properly? After all, our government spends millions to conduct elections.
    They went back ten years in my state-and these we're people with all the incentive in the world to find voter fraud-and couldn't find a single case of in-person voter fraud. In Pennsylvania. We're the last state in the country with an Irish-run political machine.
    "If it's beef, it's whatever, I ain't never been sweet/
    And in a battle I ain't never been beat, I'm in a race/
    To try to take Hova's place and you ain't better than Bleek."

4. Sponsored Links

Poor Rand thinks they're going to listen to him and not excommunicate him. That's cute, but naive.

6. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by Gaetano "Tommy" Lucchese View Post
    They went back ten years in my state-and these we're people with all the incentive in the world to find voter fraud-and couldn't find a single case of in-person voter fraud. In Pennsylvania. We're the last state in the country with an Irish-run political machine.
    That's because the PA Dems implement their voting fraud at the election board level, especially in Philadelphia.

8. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by snagswolf View Post
    That's because the PA Dems implement their voting fraud at the election board level, especially in Philadelphia.
    Please explain. Keep in mind that I know exactly how the boards of election operate in my state and how they vet voter registrations.

10. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by johnrocks View Post
    For the life of me I just dont get the controversy here, I have always needed an ID to vote, how else do the polling place know your in the right Precinct without an ID?
    it's simply about math.

12. Sponsored Links

What links do you need from me? You already proved you were either lying or misinformed when you said:

Once again, did you even read what you posted?
    Wow.....statistically speaking, 10 known cases out of the HUNDREDS of millions of votes cast since 2000 does indeed equate to NO voter fraud. But I'll put it out there in a manner you can't mince around...there is VIRTUALLY no in person voter fraud.

Does that make you feel better?

That stated, heres a question for you....how exactly do you know who those people who tried to commit fraud were trying to get elected? Why is it that every time voter fraud gets brought up, Republicans attempt to make it out like every case would have been in favor of a Democrat?
    Bullseye
    Always On Target!

14. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by Gaetano "Tommy" Lucchese View Post
    Who, exactly, went back ten years?

Please submit some facts and sources with your hearsay evidence. And, why should you assert that YOUR people are the ones blessed with "all the incentive in the world?" So far, I'm not really impressed with your "Irish-run political machine."

With permission from Ben Garrison - GrrrGraphics.com

16. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by bullseyelqcs View Post
    That stated, heres a question for you....how exactly do you know who those people who tried to commit fraud were trying to get elected? Why is it that every time voter fraud gets brought up, Republicans attempt to make it out like every case would have been in favor of a Democrat?
    As I said before, it makes sense that those gaming the system would want to keep the current system in place.

If Republicans saw in person voting fraud as an advantage, why would they be pushing for Voter ID?

18. Sponsored Links

Yeah, Rand is right.

20. Sponsored Links

As I said before, it makes sense that those gaming the system would want to keep the current system in place.

If Republicans saw in person voting fraud as an advantage, why would they be pushing for Voter ID?
    Republicans see less voters as an advantage - which is the only reason they're pushing for voter ID.
    You shouldn't believe things just because you want to.

22. Sponsored Links

It's my state too.

From February of this year:

http://www.politicspa.com/philly-ele...r-fraud/55372/

And this:
    http://mobile.philly.com/news/?wss=/...viewAll=y#more

19,605 to 0?

Yeah, ok.
    Your first story is about a crazy woman who wrote her own name as a candidate on people's ballots, and on the voting machine itself, and was immediately arrested for it. Not an example of widespread election board fraud.

http://articles.philly.com/2014-02-2...e-election-day

The second one is meaningless - it's not the slightest bit surprising that inner-city Philly voting districts went entirely to Obama.

Neither of your stories provide evidence of your claims.
    You shouldn't believe things just because you want to.

24. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Yep, I said it. "My guess" was that there are millions of dead people still on the eligible voters roles. And, after a little research I find it's true. The state precincts are not real good at maintaining their databases.

Now, does that not invite fraud?
    So where's your research?

The free press will set us free.
    "Don't give this man the nuclear codes." -- Tony Schwartz, co-author "The Art of the Deal."

26. Sponsored Links

Anecdotal as it may be, here is a story about how actually simple it is to acquire a fake ID card. As a younger man (old boy, actually, but I digress), I once used less that legitimate methods to get my hands on what would be otherwise a completely legal drivers license. I used my buddies older brothers birth certificate, went to the DMV, claimed I had lost my old ID, and they simply snapped a new pic and let me walk out with my ID, which I immediately used to get some hooch for the first time "legally" in store.

If that kind of thing can happen for a kid trying to get his drink on, what makes you think that voter ID is going to work any better when there is a hell of a lot more to gain than a fifth of Thunderbird and a bottle of MD 20/20?

Republicans see less people voting as a route to winning. Voter ID is a means to that end. God forbid they would simply attempt to appeal to more people.
    Bullseye
    Always On Target!

28. Sponsored Links

Sorry, Doug. It's NOT a laughing matter. Don't try to blow it off with a smiley.

"North Carolina’s Board of Elections found that tens of thousands of registered voters from the state have personal information matching that of registered voters in other states, and appear to have voted in states other than North Carolina in 2012. In some cases, votes were cast under names of individuals who had passed away before Election Day."

LINK

Is it too much to ask that the voter roles be maintained properly? After all, our government spends millions to conduct elections.
    The National Review is NOT a reliable news source.

Got something that does not have an agenda?

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people are so full of doubts. -Bertrand Russell

30. Sponsored Links

What should the proper procedure be when voting if an ID is not required, not trying to be obtuse here but this does have me scratching my head.
    A government small enough to drown in a tub is just what I want

32. Sponsored Links