Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Russia ready to take over parts of Ukraine? What should the US do?

Post Like Stats

Default Is Russia ready to take over parts of Ukraine? What should the US do?

A Russian annexation of the Crimean port of Sebastopol in Ukraine could happen within a week, a former Kremlin adviser has warned.
    Likening the situation to Nazi Germany’s takeover of Austria, Andrey Illarionov said a furious Russian president Vladimir Putin is sweeping aside Western warnings and putting troops on alert.
    It came amid unconfirmed claims that ousted Ukrainian president Viktor Yanukovych was under Russian military guard in Sebastopol, after a warrant was issued for his arrest for ‘mass murder’.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz2uIpNhPRo
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

The US government has warned the Russians to stay out of Ukraine, but it is not clear what the US could do to prevent Russia from taking over Crimea.

This area was part of Russia until the 1950s, and its population is mainly ethnic Russian. The Russian government could annex the area, but it is more likely to simply support independence of Crimea from Ukraine using protection of the Russian population as justification. It is unlikely that Ukraine could mount any real military opposition to this action.

A somewhat similar situation exists for a region called Transnistria, which is a part of Moldova that is effectively under Russian control.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transnistria

What can or should the US do in response to Russia controlling parts of Ukraine?

NATO is a mutual defense treaty so, any attack on a member state would be an an attack on the US. Should NATO withdraw any consideration for membership if Ukraine ends up in border disputes with Russia or with break-away regions supported by Russia?

What are the implications for the US if Ukraine joins the EU with unresolved border issues?

Post Like Stats

If Crimean want to leave Ukraine and join Russia that is up to them and Ukraine to work out.

Russia will support their Independence if they declare it.
    There isn't anything America can do to stop that from happen outside of pushing for Ukraine/Crimean relation to improve.
    Do you like handcuffs? - Stephen Harper Prime Minister of Canada.

Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Bill.in.PA View Post
    I don't see how we can do much if the Russians decide to nibble off pieces of Ukraine that are inhabited mainly by Russians.

Russian tanks rolling up to the Polish border would be a different issue, but I doubt the Russians would want to face a hostile population any way.

I don't think this is 1938 Czechoslovakia where an outside power will use the pretext of defending a minority population to take over the whole country, but the details could get very messy very quick.
    Russian isn't nibbling off anything.

The only reason Russia would step foot in Crimea is IF Crimea declare Independence.

Crimea is an Autonomous state they have their own President/Prime Minster House.

Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by lwdc View Post
    Bill, it's what people in Crimea want. They are ethnic Russians. They speak Russian. Their parents are Russian. They have relatives in Russia. Aren't you the one who made a stink about Poles living in the Ukraine, all 0.3% of them, being inconvenienced by having to travel to Poland? Bill, the majority of the population in Crimea is Russian. Think about that, and lose your double standard for once. With all your Ukraine threads, it's getting out of control.

It's not Russia deciding to 'take over" Crimea. It's Russia granting Crimea's wish to come back to their country of origin.
    Its the Ukraine version of Puerto rico

My Mood
    Sanguine
    Ideology
    Republican Party
    Post Like Stats

We should invade and occupy ukraine to protect their right to self determination.

My Mood
    Ornery
    Ideology
    Conservative
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by lwdc View Post
    Spare us your phony shock imagery. There would be no need for tanks to roll into Crimea. The people of Crimea would probably gladly join Russia if the West would allow them to vote in a democratic plebiscite. But the West won't allow it.
    Just who is "the west" and how can they prevent the people of the Crimea from voting?
    Conservatism is Common Sense Defined... . Liberalism is Common Sense Denied!!! Without the 1st & 2nd Amendments the rest of The Constitution is meaningless.... .
    THE DEFICIT

My Mood
    Sanguine
    Ideology
    Republican Party
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
    Just who is "the west" and how can they prevent the people of the Crimea from voting?
    The west ukraine presumably.

My Mood
    Ornery
    Ideology
    Conservative
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by mozysafe View Post
    We should invade and occupy ukraine to protect their right to self determination.
    If we do anything what we should to is simply support the process that is under way there and if asked do what we can to prevent outside interference.

It's only self determination if the people of Ukraine are allowed to determine their own path to the future absent outside interference.
    Conservatism is Common Sense Defined... . Liberalism is Common Sense Denied!!! Without the 1st & 2nd Amendments the rest of The Constitution is meaningless.... .
    THE DEFICIT

My Mood
    Ornery
    Ideology
    Conservative
    Post Like Stats

Since Crimea is an independent state with their own gov't how is it they can prevent it?
    THE DEFICIT

Post Like Stats

Crimea is a Autonomous state wester Ukraine has little control over it.

Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
    Since Crimea is an independent state with their own gov't how is it they can prevent it?
    Its not Independent its Autonomous

My Mood
    Ornery
    Ideology
    Conservative
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianJudo View Post
    Its not Independent its Autonomous
    Autonomous means "self governing" so how is anyone on the outside going to prevent them from voting?
    THE DEFICIT

My Mood
    Content
    Ideology
    Independent
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Safiel View Post
    Stupid to shoot off her mouth, but she is a classic Neo-lib. But in the end, she can't back up her words.
    I'm no Rice fan but that one sabre rattling snippet is a bit out of context. She goes on to say “We are going to have a unity government. We are going to have near-term elections. We are going to have constitutional reform.” In addition "This is not about the U.S. and Russia. This is about whether the people of Ukraine have the opportunity to fulfill their aspirations and be democratic and be part of Europe, which they choose to be.”

In that context then yes, Russian military forces would be a mistake just like US/UN forces would me a mistake. Let the Ukrainians sort out for themselves what kind of government and constitution they want.

If Rice ever hints the US would move to block or interfere with Russian military forces then I will join you in openly and loudly protesting the US mind its own damned business for once.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...793_story.html