Thread: Sid Caeser has died.

Post Like Stats

Default Sid Caeser has died.

We lost another great today. Sid Caesar was 91 years old. He was best known for his show "Your Show of Shows". Rest in Piece.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/12/showbiz/sid-caesar-dead/
    Last edited by Dragon1963; February 12th, 2014 at 9:44 pm. Reason: As BGG said Sid was not the Joker.
    I'm not afraid of the dark. It's what I see in the dark that scares me.

My Mood
    Exhausted
    Ideology
    Conservative
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon1963 View Post
    We lost another great today. Sid Caesar was 91 years old. He was best known for his show "Your Show of Shows" and was also the Joker in the 60's Batman TV show. Rest in Piece.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/12/showbiz/sid-caesar-dead/
    Yikes. I can remember when Your Show of Shows was required viewing on Saturday nights. Him and Imogene Coca. It was a 90 minute show, IIRC. Back then programming didn't even start until late afternoon. Another oldie that was a must-see was "Your Hit Parade".
    During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act - George Orwell

My Mood
    Convivial
    Ideology
    Filthy Liberal
    Post Like Stats

Some of the most brilliant comedy writers in Hollywood contributed to that show. Mel Brooks, Woody Allen, Neil Simon, Larry Gelbart ... they were a society unto themselves who provided many decades of laughs and happiness.

RIP Sid.
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson, Calvin and Hobbes

Post Like Stats

Sid was not the joker. Cesar Romero was.
    "Oh, your friends with their fancy persuation don't admit that it's part of a scheme. But, I can't help but have my suspicions cuz I ain't quite as dumb as I seem." Ace

Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by BasicGreatGuy View Post
    Sid was not the joker. Cesar Romero was.
    That's right. my bad. Got my Caesars mixed up.
    I'm not afraid of the dark. It's what I see in the dark that scares me.

Post Like Stats

My heart died a little again tonight.
    Boy, I say Boy!
    You're about to exceed the limitations of my medication!

Post Like Stats

Sid was a great TV icon, of course, but he did make a few movies, and two of my favorite were "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" and "The Cheap Detective".

Sid 's "Your Show of Shows" was the inspiration for "The King Kaiser Show" in the funny film, "My Favorite Year" and the character of Benjy Stone (Mark Linn-Baker) in that film was a compilation of all the wonderful comedy writers that Lima mentioned in post #3. Joseph Bologna's King Kaiser character was a very dead-on imitation of Sid.

M
    "We live in a society of wolves. You do not fight back by creating more sheep." - Dan Bongino, 2012

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Ideology
    Progressive Liberal
    Post Like Stats

The real golden age of television. No trash reality shows, just live programming that made us appreciate the little things in life like a tiny black and white TV set, laughing our heads off, and no cable TV. Those days are gone but at least we have reminders of what it was like on DVD and YouTube. I always thought simpler was better. Sid Caesar and Imogene Coco, Burns and Allen, Abbott and Costello, Lewis and Martin, The Honeymooners .... are there any shows of that caliber today? Or is it all cursing, political talk, and dumbed up untalented people getting their 15 minutes of nonsense on scripted reality shows?

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Ideology
    Get off my lawn
    Post Like Stats

Hail Caesar!

And may he rest in peace...

"A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep." - Saul Bellow

Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by DLaw911 View Post
    The real golden age of television. No trash reality shows, just live programming that made us appreciate the little things in life like a tiny black and white TV set, laughing our heads off, and no cable TV. Those days are gone but at least we have reminders of what it was like on DVD and YouTube. I always thought simpler was better. Sid Caesar and Imogene Coco, Burns and Allen, Abbott and Costello, Lewis and Martin, The Honeymooners .... are there any shows of that caliber today? Or is it all cursing, political talk, and dumbed up untalented people getting their 15 minutes of nonsense on scripted reality shows?
    I'm with you, D. Here is one of my favorite Sid Caesar bits from "Your Show of Shows". I call it "Brushin' da Prussian" from one of the lines in it. The co-star was Howie Morris. Stay with it to the end for the big punchline moment. Half of this is not German language at all, but simply Casear imitating the sound of German. (A talent that Danny Kaye also had.)

M
    Last edited by MarkyS; February 13th, 2014 at 8:54 pm.
    "We live in a society of wolves. You do not fight back by creating more sheep." - Dan Bongino, 2012

Post Like Stats

He was also a WWII vet, Coast Guard.

My Mood
    Walking on air
    Ideology
    Conservative
    Post Like Stats

RIP Sid.

I don't mind people getting kicked while they are down, just as long as I am the one doing the kicking.