Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yes, you may flash your headlights

My Mood
    Sanguine
    Ideology
    Classical Liberal
    Post Like Stats

Cool Yes, you may flash your headlights

Never thought this issue would make it to Federal Court, but it did.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014...s-speed-traps/

United States District Judge Henry E. Autrey, Eastern District of Missouri, ruled that drivers have a protected First Amendment right to flash their headlights to warn of speed traps.

I wonder if it applies to that guy from a few years ago that was standing on the side of the road holding a big "speed trap ahead" sign.

Post Like Stats

Obligatory: Why does the Supreme Court hate police so much?

Serious reply: Why was this even an issue? Good lord. The good news is that the Newt Gingrich tied Redflexx system, which is indicted almost everywhere it goes, will likely be brought in.

and yes, the guy with the sign should be covered now. They can likely arrest him for self-endangerment, though.

My Mood
    Sanguine
    Ideology
    Classical Liberal
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by boberst View Post

Serious reply: Why was this even an issue? Good lord. The good news is that the Newt Gingrich tied Redflexx system, which is indicted almost everywhere it goes, will likely be brought in.

and yes, the guy with the sign should be covered now. They can likely arrest him for self-endangerment, though.
    Unlikely this will make its way to the Supreme Court, though anything is possible.

The guy was originally arrested and threatened with a $1,000 fine and points. Even though the city later dropped the charges, the ACLU challenged the underlying statute in Federal Court, so here we are.

My Mood
    Ornery
    Ideology
    Get off my lawn
    Post Like Stats

Seems fair, since local governments write a certain amount of 'traffic ticket" revenue into their budgets; and most likely all of us know of a stretch of road where the speed limit drops precipitously JUST for the purpose of creating a speed trap.

Ideology
    Democratic Party
    Post Like Stats

That's GREAT news! I do it whenever I can. You know, the people sticking together and helping each other out.

Doug
    Lots of original music and embarrassing pictures!

Post Like Stats

Law enforcement folks always say ticketing drivers have nothing to do with revenue, only public safety to get people to slow down.

If so why do they hide these "speed traps" so drivers can't see them til they are right on top of them? If you want people to slow down make them clearly visible and drivers will slow down.
    I'm back, and the Eagle has landed.
    A free market was never meant to be a free license to take whatever you can get, however you can get it.

My Mood
    Ornery
    Ideology
    Get off my lawn
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by dad49er View Post
    Law enforcement folks always say ticketing drivers have nothing to do with revenue, only public safety to get people to slow down.

If so why do they hide these "speed traps" so drivers can't see them til they are right on top of them? If you want people to slow down make them clearly visible and drivers will slow down.
    People flashing their lights to warn drivers makes them slow down, so why would they fight this? It's pretty easy to figure out. Many years ago, I was stupid enough to get a DUI. Part of the plea deal I took was to either make a $500 contribution to a pension fund for police or to pay a $5,000 fine to the state. Sure, I was wrong, but don't think the system isn't self-serving for favored people.

Post Like Stats

It's a communication system amongst Americans helping each other out.

I am all for this ruling.
    "Anti-Establishment anarchist?"

My Mood
    Content
    Ideology
    Tea Party Conservative
    Post Like Stats

Good, the bunch of Barnie Fife's can pound sand!

Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by boberst View Post

I would say nope for the sign guy, unfortunately.

They got him for a sign ordinance.

Ron Martin, 33, faces a misdemeanor charge of waving a sign on public property after he was arrested along a Frisco highway last October holding a sign reading, “Police Ahead.”
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1582986
    Forward

Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmouse View Post
    People flashing their lights to warn drivers makes them slow down, so why would they fight this? It's pretty easy to figure out. Many years ago, I was stupid enough to get a DUI. Part of the plea deal I took was to either make a $500 contribution to a pension fund for police or to pay a $5,000 fine to the state. Sure, I was wrong, but don't think the system isn't self-serving for favored people.
    I agree.
    I'm back, and the Eagle has landed.
    A free market was never meant to be a free license to take whatever you can get, however you can get it.

Blog Entries
    Post Like Stats

Always thought that was bogus, how can it be illegal to warn others to follow the law?
    Justice Clarence Thomas ""Rarely do we hear a message of sacrifice, unless it is used as a justification of taxation of others or a transfer of wealth to others.""

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Ideology
    Filthy Liberal
    Post Like Stats

Interesting. I never would've thought that flashing lights to warn other drivers could be illegal.

My Mood
    Sanguine
    Ideology
    Constitutionalist
    Blog Entries
    Post Like Stats

Damn and here I was thinking of woman with high beams at freezer section in a grocery store.
    Last edited by Conan; February 5th, 2014 at 1:31 pm.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women!

My Mood
    Sanguine
    Ideology
    Constitutionalist
    Blog Entries
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by ddye View Post
    That's GREAT news! I do it whenever I can. You know, the people sticking together and helping each other out.

Doug
    And we don't need laws for it either.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women!