Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris Christie's bridge problem

Ideology
    Democratic Party
    Post Like Stats

Default Chris Christie's bridge problem

Amazing that this hasn't been posted here. Rachel Maddow has been covering this not as a slap at Christie but as an example of New Jersey bully politics.

It seems that David Wildstein, an executive at the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey (and a high school buddy of Christie), closed down two of three local access lanes from Fort Lee to the George Washington Bridge, the nation's busiest crossing, bringing traffic to a halt and turning borough streets into a parking lot. Wildstein specifically ordered that this was to be done in secret, not even informing the police about possible traffic tie ups. He chose the first day of school to do this, causing thousands of kids to be hours late for their first day.

The mayor of Fort Lee had earlier refused to endorse Christie in the Governor's race.

OK, that's bad enough, but when this was discovered, Port Authority of New York and New Jersey executive deputy director Bill Baroni claimed that it was done for a "traffic study". The problem was that Port Authority Executive Director Pay Foye said he didn’t know anything about the traffic study, and no evidence of such a study was found to exist.

Now, Wildstein and Baroni have resigned and they’ve both hired criminal defense lawyers. The whole mess is being looked at by the NJ legislature, and the U.S. Senate Commerce Committee has decided to investigate.

In addition, Christie is reported to have asked New York Governor Cuomo to rein in investigator of George Washington Bridge closure. Christie now denies this, although Cuomo's office said that it happened and reporters say that they have absolute proof of the phone call.

Here is a good timeline of the whole thing.

So it is Christie's fault? I doubt it, it's likely his underlings taking actions on their own. Are Democrats piling on in order to make Christie look bad? Sure they are.

Doug
    Last edited by ddye; December 21st, 2013 at 1:00 pm.
    Lots of original music and embarrassing pictures!

My Mood
    Sanguine
    Ideology
    Independent
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by mozysafe View Post
    17.2T. Again, are you unhappy with 4.1% growth in the US economy? Would you be unhappy with another 8 years of growth at that pace under "Christie or Billary"?
    How much is the US national debt again and by how much is it going up?

Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by ressurectedUltraSaiyanUSA View Post
    How much is the US national debt again and by how much is it going up?
    It's the first ****ing word of the post dude. It's not moving right now.

Why are you avoiding the question? Are you unhappy with 4.1% growth?
    Food and Liquor

My Mood
    Sanguine
    Ideology
    Independent
    Post Like Stats

It's the first ****ing word of the post dude. It's not moving right now.

Why are you avoiding the question? Are you unhappy with 4.1% growth?
    thank you, at least we know libs really don't care if we're sinking in debt.
    http://forums.hannity.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=28042&dateline=140330  9042
    Extropian Catholic - Mark Levin Independent - Earth's Finest is Israel's Iron Dome

My Mood
    Solitary
    Ideology
    Get off my lawn
    Blog Entries
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by ddye View Post
    Amazing that this hasn't been posted here. Rachel Maddow has been covering this not as a slap at Christie but as an example of New Jersey bully politics.

It seems that David Wildstein, an executive at the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey (and a high school buddy of Christie), closed down two of three local access lanes from Fort Lee to the George Washington Bridge, the nation's busiest crossing, bringing traffic to a halt and turning borough streets into a parking lot. Wildstein specifically ordered that this was to be done in secret, not even informing the police about possible traffic tie ups. He chose the first day of school to do this, causing thousands of kids to be hours late for their first day.

The mayor of Fort Lee had earlier refused to endorse Christie in the Governor's race.

OK, that's bad enough, but when this was discovered, Port Authority of New York and New Jersey executive deputy director Bill Baroni claimed that it was done for a "traffic study". The problem was that Port Authority Executive Director Pay Foye said he didn’t know anything about the traffic study, and no evidence of such a study was found to exist.

Now, Wildstein and Baroni have resigned and they’ve both hired criminal defense lawyers. The whole mess is being looked at by the NJ legislature, and the U.S. Senate Commerce Committee has decided to investigate.

In addition, Christie is reported to have asked New York Governor Cuomo to rein in investigator of George Washington Bridge closure. Christie now denies this, although Cuomo's office said that it happened and reporters say that they have absolute proof of the phone call.

Here is a good timeline of the whole thing.

So it is Christie's fault? I doubt it, it's likely his underlings taking actions on their own. Are Democrats piling on in order to make Christie look bad? Sure they are.

Doug
    You know what Christie's problem is? He thinks he going to be the President some day.

My Mood
    Ornery
    Ideology
    Get off my lawn
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by kaydahl View Post
    Yes. Unless it can be done without QE.
    Yep; QE makes this fool's gold. Now fool's gold can be helpful if you can find a bigger fool to pawn it off on, but enough of it will cause big problems. See: mortgage derivatives.

Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by ressurectedUltraSaiyanUSA View Post
    thank you, at least we know libs really don't care if we're sinking in debt.
    thank you for deflecting four times. At least we know cons really don't care about a growing economy.
    Food and Liquor

Post Like Stats

I would never vote for Christie.
    I'm here to refudiate those who misunderestimate me.

My Mood
    Irritated
    Ideology
    Conservative
    Post Like Stats

I hope you're right. I would love to see Hillary rack up 400 Electoral votes. Now THAT would qualify as a mandate.

Doug
    No. That would guarantee a third party candidate. There are many states where Christi would run third.
    RWReaganfan
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives. - Ronald Reagan

Ideology
    Democratic Party
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by RWReaganfan View Post
    No. That would guarantee a third party candidate. There are many states where Christi would run third.
    Great, let Christie and Cruz split the red states.

Doug

My Mood
    Irritated
    Ideology
    Conservative
    Post Like Stats

The US economy grew at 4.1% in the third quarter of 2013, driven by consumer spending.
    Wait until next month when they say, "Oops, that was a typo! It's actually 1.4%".

Every time they come up with great news, it always gets revised down on the back page in a few days.
    RWReaganfan
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives. - Ronald Reagan

Ideology
    Democratic Party
    Post Like Stats

Wait until next month when they say, "Oops, that was a typo! It's actually 1.4%".

Every time they come up with great news, it always gets revised down on the back page in a few days.
    Wow, most of the past year monthly jobs numbers have later been revised UP, not down.

I mean, I appreciate posting whatever makes you feel good, but... really?

Doug

My Mood
    Irritated
    Ideology
    Conservative
    Post Like Stats

Wow, most of the past year monthly jobs numbers have later been revised UP, not down.

I mean, I appreciate posting whatever makes you feel good, but... really?

Doug
    OK, let's say you were possibly right. Anyone with a high school education knows the numbers they provide are akin to a monkey throwing darts at a wall filled with numbers.

Where will they be when people start realizing that working is actually a disincentive because they can get better healthcare on Medicaid than they get by paying out hundreds of dollars per month for coverage that will never pay a dime until they are already bankrupt?
    RWReaganfan

Post Like Stats

4.1 was actually an upwards revision from 3.6%
    Food and Liquor

Post Like Stats

4.1% is the revision. It had been 3.5% or something.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Ideology
    Filthy Liberal
    Post Like Stats

OK, let's say you were possibly right. Anyone with a high school education knows the numbers they provide are akin to a monkey throwing darts at a wall filled with numbers.

Where will they be when people start realizing that working is actually a disincentive because they can get better healthcare on Medicaid than they get by paying out hundreds of dollars per month for coverage that will never pay a dime until they are already bankrupt?
    I doubt many with a high school education are so simple-minded and/or ignorant. Some, but not many.