Page 58 of 58 FirstFirst ... 848565758

Thread: Hunting Season

Default Hunting Season

Anyone else eagerly awaiting the return of fall and hunting season?
    Hillary GONE! Obama GONE! AGW WOUNDED! Obamacare Pray!
    Ronald Reagan's 9 most terrifying words in the English language: "I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help."

2. Sponsored Links

Have had the kids training for hunting with 243 bolt actions, but I needed a quick/cheap solution to tie my oldest into a rifle hunt this weekend. After a quick ballistics comparison, it seems that 7.62x38 is a muzzle energy doppelganger for Hornaday Custom Lite 243.

Drop a low power sight onto an old SKS and we have a 125 yard, short range, deer rifle for the youngster.

4" groups at 100 yards.
    Ronald Reagan's 9 most terrifying words in the English language: "I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help."

4. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by smyrna View Post
    It's rabbit hunting this morning......let the beagles run.
    Tallyho!!

We'll start up in January.
    If Peeing Your Pants Is Cool Consider Me Miles Davis

6. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by Physics Hunter View Post
    Ok, this one will seem like hunting 101, but I have always wondered...

As noted yesterday a bunch of us in the family have head-colds and hunting has been off the itinerary this week.

There was a lot of activity on the property today: tractoring, kids playing outside, cars running in and out... So, it got quiet 30 mins before sundown and I slipped into my hunting gear then topped it with enough international orange to see from space and stepped into the woods.
    I had no time to set up, so I just found a nice triple tree to hide behind and sat down. Four does came walking through not 5 mins later. They were within 15 yards of me, on the side where the tree did not hide me.

They could obviously NOT SEE the orange coat/hat from near zero range, with no obstructions. I always wondered how much of a hindrance to deer hunting wearing blaze orange was.

Has anyone had similar experiences?
    A friend of mine smokes cigarettes and drinks cold beers while hunting in jeans and tshirt. Doesn't have a problem killing deer. I've put on scentblocker clothing, fox piss boots and hung doe estrous, didn't see a thing. Short of putting out a timed feeder, I don't know that there's anything you can do to draw them in or scare them off.

8. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by gwhughes View Post
    A friend of mine smokes cigarettes and drinks cold beers while hunting in jeans and tshirt. Doesn't have a problem killing deer. I've put on scentblocker clothing, fox piss boots and hung doe estrous, didn't see a thing. Short of putting out a timed feeder, I don't know that there's anything you can do to draw them in or scare them off.

The whole smoking cigarettes thing and hunting has bothered me from back in the old days hunting with the WWII generation. I was a kid and did not realize how bad I smelled from their smoke.

Drinking before/while hunting is definitely NOT COOL!

There is a lot to be said about skill at finding and getting deer in your shooting lanes. That is what makes hunting interesting; gear, shooting skill, scent, patterning the deer, stand placement...

10. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by Physics Hunter View Post
    The whole smoking cigarettes thing and hunting has bothered me from back in the old days hunting with the WWII generation. I was a kid and did not realize how bad I smelled from their smoke.

Drinking before/while hunting is definitely NOT COOL!

There is a lot to be said about skill at finding and getting deer in your shooting lanes. That is what makes hunting interesting; gear, shooting skill, scent, patterning the deer, stand placement...
    I definitely don't condone it, but just remarking on the unpredictable nature of deer. Or maybe it's the predictable nature of deer?

12. Sponsored Links