Syria-Are we about to make a catastrophically stupid mistake? - Page 100

Page 100 of 100 FirstFirst ... 50909899100
Results 1,486 to 1,498 of 1498
    Blog Entries

Default Syria-Are we about to make a catastrophically stupid mistake?

As the war drums pound longer and louder many of us sit here wondering what Obama's next move is going to be and what it will mean for "We The People".

Having spent a lot of time in the region I was sitting back pondering on how our prior engagements have gone and what Syria's capabilities are.

We have ships moving into position now and they are there almost certainly to launch missile strikes against Assad's air force, munitions depots, and likely their command and control particularly air defense radar and communications facilities.

Syria has some of the most advanced Russian weaponry available including supersonic anti-ship missiles quite capable of seriously damaging or even sinking those ships.

Their land based supersonic cruise missiles have limited range, but the same missiles can also be launched at long range from shore since they can be delivered by air or sea.

They also have some long range ballistic anti ship missiles also supplied by the Russians.

http://english.farsnews.com/newstext...13920604001374

Obama has built himself into a box with his rhetoric. If we do not deliver on his previous threats with respect to the use of chemical weapons he has pretty much zero credibility left on the world stage and the US will become a laughing stock around the world as a result of our projected weakness.

If we do launch the almost certain strikes and Syria is successful in damaging or destroying any of our ships we must respond with even greater force.

The Russians have warned us that if we do launch a strike against Assad's forces there will be grave consequences and their fleet will be behind ours.

Our fleet will be stuck between the Russian fleet, Syria and flanked to the north by Turkey who is at best an unreliable ally when it comes to the ME and of course Lebanon to the South East.

Should our fleet come under attack we have a very realistic possibility of needing the Israelis to respond with their air assets to help them out which would almost certainly result in a much broader war almost instantly.

It is also not out of the realm of possibilities for the Israelis to take advantage of the situation and attack Iran's nuclear facilities while everyone else is focused on Syria.

Once we start shooting, this could be the biggest international crisis since The Cuban Missile Crisis of the sixties during which we barely averted catastrophe.

Barak Obama is no JFK so I am genuinely concerned about not where the shooting will start but where it will end and with what losses.

There are hundreds of ways this can go very badly for the US and damned few where it can end well for US.

I just do not have the same confidence in the current Administration I have had for most during my lifetime.
    NRA Certified Instructor, RSO, CRSO.
    Without the 1st & 2nd Amendments the rest of The Constitution is meaningless
    Don't blame me, I voted for Cruz!

2. Sponsored Links

I'm really enjoying this.
    "Put your guap up, hot stuff, you're not tough/
    Let's play a game of Trouble and when I pop up/
    It's with the Glock tucked, crotched up in a drop ducked low."

4. Sponsored Links

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people are so full of doubts. -Bertrand Russell

6. Sponsored Links

Everyone here should read this entire thread.

8. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
    That doesn't make it genocide. Horrible yes, genocide no.

ISIS kills everyone who won't convert, Assad kills everyone in his way. It's just another brutal war but not genocide.
    Yes it is

gen·o·cide
    ˈjenəˌsīd/Submit
    noun
    the deliberate killing of a large group of people, especially those of a particular ethnic group or nation.

10. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianJudo View Post
    There has been what 5? chemical weapon attack in Syria about time someone did something.
    Okay.

12. Sponsored Links

"Barak Obama is no JFK so I am genuinely concerned about not where the shooting will start but where it will end and with what losses."

LOL

14. Sponsored Links

Lol, fretting about an international crisis of untold proportions when in the past few days WR was all amped to blow up Russians just because we could.

16. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by Solsbury Krill View Post
    Lol, fretting about an international crisis of untold proportions when in the past few days WR was all amped to blow up Russians just because we could.
    He said he didn't have any faith in the Obama administration, apparently he has more faith in the Trump administration.

It's not MY opinion, but it is a perfectly consistent opinion.

18. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
    As the war drums pound longer and louder many of us sit here wondering what Obama's next move is going to be and what it will mean for "We The People".

Having spent a lot of time in the region I was sitting back pondering on how our prior engagements have gone and what Syria's capabilities are.

We have ships moving into position now and they are there almost certainly to launch missile strikes against Assad's air force, munitions depots, and likely their command and control particularly air defense radar and communications facilities.

Syria has some of the most advanced Russian weaponry available including supersonic anti-ship missiles quite capable of seriously damaging or even sinking those ships.

Their land based supersonic cruise missiles have limited range, but the same missiles can also be launched at long range from shore since they can be delivered by air or sea.

They also have some long range ballistic anti ship missiles also supplied by the Russians.

http://english.farsnews.com/newstext...13920604001374

Obama has built himself into a box with his rhetoric. If we do not deliver on his previous threats with respect to the use of chemical weapons he has pretty much zero credibility left on the world stage and the US will become a laughing stock around the world as a result of our projected weakness.

If we do launch the almost certain strikes and Syria is successful in damaging or destroying any of our ships we must respond with even greater force.

The Russians have warned us that if we do launch a strike against Assad's forces there will be grave consequences and their fleet will be behind ours.

Our fleet will be stuck between the Russian fleet, Syria and flanked to the north by Turkey who is at best an unreliable ally when it comes to the ME and of course Lebanon to the South East.

Should our fleet come under attack we have a very realistic possibility of needing the Israelis to respond with their air assets to help them out which would almost certainly result in a much broader war almost instantly.

It is also not out of the realm of possibilities for the Israelis to take advantage of the situation and attack Iran's nuclear facilities while everyone else is focused on Syria.

Once we start shooting, this could be the biggest international crisis since The Cuban Missile Crisis of the sixties during which we barely averted catastrophe.

Barak Obama is no JFK so I am genuinely concerned about not where the shooting will start but where it will end and with what losses.

There are hundreds of ways this can go very badly for the US and damned few where it can end well for US.

I just do not have the same confidence in the current Administration I have had for most during my lifetime.

20. Sponsored Links

Ttt

22. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky SF Dude View Post
    Yes it is

gen·o·cide
    ˈjenəˌsīd/Submit
    noun
    the deliberate killing of a large group of people, especially those of a particular ethnic group or nation.
    They aren't being targeted because of their ethnicity or nationality.

Assad is killing everyone that isn't pro assad. ISIS is killing everyone that is't Pro ISIS.

Mostly it's Syrian Muslims killing Syrian Muslims and US killing ISIS members.

24. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Solsbury Krill View Post
    If you can find even one post of mine advocating we start "blowing up Russians just because we can", I will happily admit you're not lying through your teeth and trolling.

26. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    He said he didn't have any faith in the Obama administration, apparently he has more faith in the Trump administration.

It's not MY opinion, but it is a perfectly consistent opinion.
    Considering how well our little adventure in Libya and his failure to even recognize ISIS as a serious threat I'd say my skepticism was well warranted.

28. Sponsored Links