Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 327

Thread: Martial Law – And so it Begins…

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Gender
    Male
    Ideology
    Get off my lawn
    Posts
    57,007
    Rep Power
    22
    Post Like Stats

    Default Martial Law – And so it Begins…

    “Papers, please….”


    Plan on walking your dog, or going for an evening stroll around the block? If you live in Paragould, Arkansas prepare to be stopped and questioned by police armed with AR-15’s.

    “Why are you walking, where are you going, and show me your I.D.” will be asked of anyone they see.

    Get use to it, this is only the beginning.



    http://www.theblaze.com/stories/why-...n-the-streets/
    “He won’t call a war, a war. He won’t call Islamist terrorists, Islamist terrorists.
    This president is a terrified little man in a great big job he can’t do.”—Lt. Col. Ralph Peters

  2. #31
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Gender
    Male
    Age
    49
    Posts
    42,402
    Rep Power
    16
    Post Like Stats

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaughtInTheMiddle View Post
    Are we in the middle of a 1970s soap opera?
    Bear thread.....1970's soap opera....not that much difference, honestly.

    On this night of ritual
    Invoking our master
    To procreate the unholy bastard

  3. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    is everything
    Gender
    Male
    My Mood
    Quixotic
    Ideology
    Independent
    Age
    37
    Posts
    79,847
    Rep Power
    50
    Post Like Stats

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanWay View Post
    Clearly unconstitutional and lawsuits will rightfully fly.
    ...IF this ever starts to happen. Which is up in the air. Right now, it looks like it's a proposal designed to scare people.

    Which, in the case of the OP, it appears it has.

    "You know the expression “there’s no such thing as bad sex or bad pizza”? Your pizza is like sex with a corpse made of sandpaper." - Jon Stewart on deep dish pizza.

    Thank God Curious George wasn't a cat.

  4. #33
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Illinois on the Rock Riv
    Gender
    Female
    My Mood
    Observant
    Ideology
    Conservative Libertarian
    Posts
    2,165
    Rep Power
    9
    Post Like Stats

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by avergbear View Post
    “Papers, please….”


    Plan on walking your dog, or going for an evening stroll around the block? If you live in Paragould, Arkansas prepare to be stopped and questioned by police armed with AR-15’s.

    “Why are you walking, where are you going, and show me your I.D.” will be asked of anyone they see.

    Get use to it, this is only the beginning.



    http://www.theblaze.com/stories/why-...n-the-streets/
    I am not saying that is not what you a
    say.

    But sounds like a weed and seed program that they have used here.

    The idea is to get to know who belongs to the neighborhood and who does not. So that when something does happen, then they can find out who may have done it sooner. Also if there are criminals in the neighborhood they go talk to them first.

    Also it cuts down on the crime as the police are more noticed in that area, which leads to less crime.

    Has worked very good here where I live.

    Also martial law would be when you have a curfew that you can not even be on the streets at certain hours.

    I do not know anyone that is out walking their dogs in the middle of the night, and if they are it is nice to know that they are getting checked out.

    Never know if they are just walking the dog or casing the neighborhood to see if there is a place for them to break into.

    penny
    What is the optimal temperature for Earth then?

    Why should we be the only ones doing any thing about climate change?

  5. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,094
    Rep Power
    0
    Post Like Stats

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Funkenstein View Post
    ...IF this ever starts to happen. Which is up in the air. Right now, it looks like it's a proposal designed to scare people.

    Which, in the case of the OP, it appears it has.
    Of course. And it wouldn't surprise me if some overzealous police chief somewhere tried something like this before getting his butt handed to him in court. Doesn't mean it's the coming of a new world order.

  6. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    14,634
    Rep Power
    10
    Post Like Stats

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by avergbear View Post
    Of course you don’t.
    Arizona SB 1070 was specifically about determining an individuals immigration status. This doesn't appear to be the case in Arkansas.

  7. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    is everything
    Gender
    Male
    My Mood
    Quixotic
    Ideology
    Independent
    Age
    37
    Posts
    79,847
    Rep Power
    50
    Post Like Stats

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanWay View Post
    Of course. And it wouldn't surprise me if some overzealous police chief somewhere tried something like this before getting his butt handed to him in court. Doesn't mean it's the coming of a new world order.
    Well, it does if you're an idiot.

    I'm not referring to anyone specific. I'm just saying that if you think that this is actually going to become widespread, you're an idiot.

    "You know the expression “there’s no such thing as bad sex or bad pizza”? Your pizza is like sex with a corpse made of sandpaper." - Jon Stewart on deep dish pizza.

    Thank God Curious George wasn't a cat.

  8. #37
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,094
    Rep Power
    0
    Post Like Stats

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pennysworth56 View Post
    I am not saying that is not what you a
    say.

    But sounds like a weed and seed program that they have used here.

    The idea is to get to know who belongs to the neighborhood and who does not. So that when something does happen, then they can find out who may have done it sooner. Also if there are criminals in the neighborhood they go talk to them first.

    Also it cuts down on the crime as the police are more noticed in that area, which leads to less crime.

    Has worked very good here where I live.

    Also martial law would be when you have a curfew that you can not even be on the streets at certain hours.

    I do not know anyone that is out walking their dogs in the middle of the night, and if they are it is nice to know that they are getting checked out.

    Never know if they are just walking the dog or casing the neighborhood to see if there is a place for them to break into.

    penny
    They can talk to whoever they want (as long as it's a walk-along talk, i.e. a voluntary contact and people are free to leave or not talk to them). Asking for ID would be over the line.

  9. #38
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    South Bay LA
    Gender
    Male
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Ideology
    Progressive Liberal
    Posts
    34,042
    Rep Power
    17
    Post Like Stats

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by avergbear View Post
    “Papers, please….”


    Plan on walking your dog, or going for an evening stroll around the block? If you live in Paragould, Arkansas prepare to be stopped and questioned by police armed with AR-15’s.

    “Why are you walking, where are you going, and show me your I.D.” will be asked of anyone they see.

    Get use to it, this is only the beginning.

    http://www.theblaze.com/stories/why-...n-the-streets/
    If the tactic went into effect, which it never ail, the ACLU will have it enjoined by a federal judge within an hour.


    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy - Martin Luther King, Jr.

  10. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    is everything
    Gender
    Male
    My Mood
    Quixotic
    Ideology
    Independent
    Age
    37
    Posts
    79,847
    Rep Power
    50
    Post Like Stats

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanWay View Post
    They can talk to whoever they want (as long as it's a walk-along talk, i.e. a voluntary contact and people are free to leave or not talk to them). Asking for ID would be over the line.
    I was once walking through a development where I did not live that had been the subject of a rash of break-ins. It was the fastest way home from school...you walked through Chatham, cut through the park, then up through South Graylyn Crest to North Graylyn Crest.

    Well, one day, a cop was parked at the entrance to the park...he stops me and my friends (who do live in South Graylyn...) and asks us where we live. He lets them go and asks me a few more questions (Why are you walking this way? Someone fitting your description was seen lurking outside of a few homes in the last couple weeks...do you always take this route? So on, so on...). I answer his questions, convince him that I'm not the person he's looking for (which I wasn't, although it turned out the person who was doing it DID look a lot like me), and moved on.

    When SB 1070 came out, I heard a lot of "if you have nothing to hide, this isn't a problem". Apparently, that isn't the case if you live in Paragould, AR.

    "You know the expression “there’s no such thing as bad sex or bad pizza”? Your pizza is like sex with a corpse made of sandpaper." - Jon Stewart on deep dish pizza.

    Thank God Curious George wasn't a cat.

  11. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Mosquito Lagoon in my Gheenoe
    Posts
    8,084
    Rep Power
    12
    Post Like Stats

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vaard View Post
    one thing is clear tho.....

    the blaze sure hates cops......
    Did the Blaze say they acted stupidly?
    "He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." - Declaration of Independence

  12. #41
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,094
    Rep Power
    0
    Post Like Stats

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Funkenstein View Post
    I was once walking through a development where I did not live that had been the subject of a rash of break-ins. It was the fastest way home from school...you walked through Chatham, cut through the park, then up through South Graylyn Crest to North Graylyn Crest.

    Well, one day, a cop was parked at the entrance to the park...he stops me and my friends (who do live in South Graylyn...) and asks us where we live. He lets them go and asks me a few more questions (Why are you walking this way? Someone fitting your description was seen lurking outside of a few homes in the last couple weeks...do you always take this route? So on, so on...). I answer his questions, convince him that I'm not the person he's looking for (which I wasn't, although it turned out the person who was doing it DID look a lot like me), and moved on.

    When SB 1070 came out, I heard a lot of "if you have nothing to hide, this isn't a problem". Apparently, that isn't the case if you live in Paragould, AR.
    In your case, though, he had reasonable suspicion, which is sufficient for an investigative stop. Reasonable suspicion has to be somewhat specific, though (matching a description, right after a crime has occurred, etc), they can't just stop everyone. I wouldn't be surprised if this was rescinded before it was ever implemented.

  13. #42
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Gender
    Male
    My Mood
    Sanguine
    Ideology
    Republican Party
    Posts
    45,652
    Rep Power
    15
    Post Like Stats

    Default

    Holy ****. There is so much irony jammed into one story...I don't even know what to do. The Onion would be proud of this for sure.


  14. #43
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Battlestar Galactica
    Posts
    28,302
    Rep Power
    13
    Post Like Stats

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by avergbear View Post
    “Papers, please….”


    Plan on walking your dog, or going for an evening stroll around the block? If you live in Paragould, Arkansas prepare to be stopped and questioned by police armed with AR-15’s.

    “Why are you walking, where are you going, and show me your I.D.” will be asked of anyone they see.

    Get use to it, this is only the beginning.
    Papers bitte schnell schnell.

    I'm sure Eric "The Criminal" Holder will save us!


  15. #44
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Gender
    Male
    My Mood
    Content
    Ideology
    Independent
    Posts
    22,503
    Rep Power
    10
    Post Like Stats

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by avergbear View Post
    “Papers, please….”


    Plan on walking your dog, or going for an evening stroll around the block? If you live in Paragould, Arkansas prepare to be stopped and questioned by police armed with AR-15’s.

    “Why are you walking, where are you going, and show me your I.D.” will be asked of anyone they see.

    Get use to it, this is only the beginning.



    http://www.theblaze.com/stories/why-...n-the-streets/
    I love how AR15s are simple, innocent rifles that every God fearin' American should own in gun control threads but menacing projections of firepower in a government paranoia thread.
    "Inside every cynical person there is a disappointed idealist." George Carlin

  16. #45
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Gender
    Male
    Ideology
    Get off my lawn
    Posts
    57,007
    Rep Power
    22
    Post Like Stats

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jagergeist View Post
    I love how AR15s are simple, innocent rifles that every God fearin' American should own in gun control threads but menacing projections of firepower in a government paranoia thread.
    The average citizen doesn’t roam the streets with them, stopping everyone they see and asking for I.D.

    Something also tells me the ones the police have may be full automatic.
    “He won’t call a war, a war. He won’t call Islamist terrorists, Islamist terrorists.
    This president is a terrified little man in a great big job he can’t do.”—Lt. Col. Ralph Peters

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •