Page 1 of 248 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: More With Photography

My Mood
    Sanguine
    Ideology
    Independent
    Post Like Stats

Default More With Photography

"old guy" posted a thread on Nature Photography. That has been corrupted (even by me) with landscapes and other bits of work. To avoid further corrupting his thread I have created this one.

Some of these images you may have seen other versions, or similar versions, of a posted by me at times. Usually I post fairly small renditions. These are slightly larger (but not full size). Some of you may not understand the content of a few, others may find some of them not their cup of tea. However, photography and photo art covers a broad spectrum of topics and styles. I attempt in my quest with photography to address many of them.

The other day I sent an image to snow96 via PM. I don't think he would mind my repeating a small part of his response.
    Quote Originally Posted by snow96
    Your mind is a scary place lee
    What the comment from snow96 really reflects is that it is OK to get creative with photography, with images.

I should note: One of the nice things about wet process film and print was that when you handed to or sent someone an image you knew exactly what they would see. The problem with digital, the Internet, monitor quality, etc. is that if the viewers monitor / video card set-up is not properly optimized they may not, in their viewing, be seeing the image as it really is. I will address that topic more later.

Anyway, here are some random images. Feel free to post your own. All of these are Clickable Thumbnails.

Ariann Black

Kanichiro

Lee, your work certainly sets a high bar.

My Mood
    Sanguine
    Ideology
    Independent
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Kanichiro View Post
    Perhaps if we don't look at my work as setting a bar, but rather, a sharing of ideas (photographically). I discuss photography with snow96, in the past I have with poorblackman (who is a good photographer). After one of the meet-ups in New Orleans I grabbed everyone's cameras (or cards) and gave each a disc with all of the images from all of the cameras. Everyone had some great images. Sidestreamer recently shared some of his latest images with me. He is getting better and has some great shots produced by his endeavor to expand his own abilities.

In the Nature Photography thread that 'old guy' created snow96 posted his image with the hangman's noose. That is a great image which can be interpreted and represented many ways, each with their own merit. Snow96 and I exchanged views and ideas on that image sometime in the past. There is no 'right way' with the image. There is only personal preference and what the intent of the impression desired is.

Sharing and discussing is how all of us can advance. If nothing else, to improve family albums, memorable times, etc.

Another OK, but not great, shot.

Last edited by Lee Kington; October 3rd, 2010 at 12:32 pm.
    Ariann Black

My Mood
    Sanguine
    Ideology
    Independent
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Kanichiro View Post
    What if I just posted a reasonable, average, clean shot?

Ariann Black

My Mood
    Naughty
    Ideology
    Get off my lawn
    Post Like Stats

This was walking through a parking lot and just happened to look down at the right moment.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    sigline.jpg
    DISPATCHERS SAVE SECONDS.................SECONDS SAVE LIVES

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Ideology
    Progressive Liberal
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by snow96 View Post
    This was walking through a parking lot and just happened to look down at the right moment.
    I like it but is it upside down?

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy - Martin Luther King, Jr.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Ideology
    Progressive Liberal
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Kington View Post
    What if I just posted a reasonable, average, clean shot?

It's a beautiful picture Lee but the green cactus in the front becomes the focal point or at least distracts from the focal point. I would lose the cactus.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy - Martin Luther King, Jr.

My Mood
    Naughty
    Ideology
    Get off my lawn
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by DLaw911 View Post
    I like it but is it upside down?
    Nope, Ice ring went all the way around the hub. I just wasn't in a situation where I could lay down in the mud to get a good picture.
    sigline.jpg
    DISPATCHERS SAVE SECONDS.................SECONDS SAVE LIVES

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Ideology
    Progressive Liberal
    Post Like Stats

Lee your grand canyon pic is awesome. If I had the hi rez version (hint) it would become my desktop wallpaper.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Ideology
    Progressive Liberal
    Post Like Stats

Nope, Ice ring went all the way around the hub. I just wasn't in a situation where I could lay down in the mud to get a good picture.
    That's amazing. Glad you had your camera.

My Mood
    Sanguine
    Ideology
    Independent
    Post Like Stats

LOL... cool (no pun intended). Reminds me of a time when I was traveling from Niceville, Fl to Ansen, Tx. I stopped in Shreveport for gas. When I got out to fuel up the side mirrors, wheels, etc. were all covered with ice.
    Ariann Black

My Mood
    Sanguine
    Ideology
    Independent
    Post Like Stats

It's a beautiful picture Lee but the green cactus in the front becomes the focal point or at least distracts from the focal point. I would lose the cactus.
    Cool. Someone who wants to comment on / discuss photography. Thank you Ev. The great thing is ... there is no absolute right way due to the fact that many concepts are personal preference, eye, etc. But then, it is always good to play with an image to test ones approach. I will test / explain mine.

Going to basic photo composition.. The rule of thirds.

An image is divided into three equal parts both horizontally and vertically. Any building edge, skyline, object of main interest, etc should be generally in the area of one of the 1/3 divides. So lets divide the image with red lines.

Where our lines intersect establishes 'key points' on the image. Within the key point area is where we try to place the object of main interest. So lets establish those and mark them with blue circles.

As we can see the house is on the lower third line, spans the left-hand third line, and sits within our area of key point. Part of it extends into the other key point area which is not a critical factor but does come in to play. In the upper right we have a rock formation which is pretty much centered on the right-hand third line, but, extends well up into the upper right hand corner area of the image.

Without the cactus in the foreground the image will tend to tip over being so visually weighted in the upper right area. The image is 'out of balance'.

It is essential to keep not only key point (focal point) in mind as well as overall image balance. If I attempt to place the cactus back in, but as a black & white item, the image improves. However, I still have an imbalance due to the color of the house and upper right corner. Yes the house (key point) is seemingly slightly more prominent, but the actual balance simply is not there.

With the image, as I originally presented it... The cactus, sits just off of the right-hand third line, anchors the bottom of the image, balances the upper right (due to the relationship of both to the right-hand 1/3 line and both with color. So the right hand side is observing the 1/3 rule with vertical division. The house is observing the 1/3 rule horizontally and occupying a key point (focal point).

That, anyway, is my explanation for the image. As previously stated, it may not be right. Most likely I will play with the image some more.... I will also very much entertain rebuttal. It is hard to improve when challenges are not voiced.

Ariann Black

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Ideology
    Progressive Liberal
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Kington View Post
    Cool. Someone who wants to comment on / discuss photography. Thank you Ev. The great thing is ... there is no absolute right way due to the fact that many concepts are personal preference, eye, etc. But then, it is always good to play with an image to test ones approach. I will test / explain mine.

Going to basic photo composition.. The rule of thirds.

An image is divided into three equal parts both horizontally and vertically. Any building edge, skyline, object of main interest, etc should be generally in the area of one of the 1/3 divides. So lets divide the image with red lines.

Where our lines intersect establishes 'key points' on the image. Within the key point area is where we try to place the object of main interest. So lets establish those and mark them with blue circles.

As we can see the house is on the lower third line, spans the left-hand third line, and sits within our area of key point. Part of it extends into the other key point area which is not a critical factor but does come in to play. In the upper right we have a rock formation which is pretty much centered on the right-hand third line, but, extends well up into the upper right hand corner area of the image.

Without the cactus in the foreground the image will tend to tip over being so visually weighted in the upper right area. The image is 'out of balance'.

It is essential to keep not only key point (focal point) in mind as well as overall image balance. If I attempt to place the cactus back in, but as a black & white item, the image improves. However, I still have an imbalance due to the color of the house and upper right corner. Yes the house (key point) is seemingly slightly more prominent, but the actual balance simply is not there.

With the image, as I originally presented it... The cactus, sits just off of the right-hand third line, anchors the bottom of the image, balances the upper right (due to the relationship of both to the right-hand 1/3 line and both with color. So the right hand side is observing the 1/3 rule with vertical division. The house is observing the 1/3 rule horizontally and occupying a key point (focal point).

That, anyway, is my explanation for the image. As previously stated, it may not be right. Most likely I will play with the image some more.... I will also very much entertain rebuttal. It is hard to improve when challenges are not voiced.
    We've both been active in photography for a long time. I search the internet all the time for good landscape photos. I found a good source at http://interfacelift.com/wallpaper_b...oads/date/any/ and there are many others.

I agree with you on the 1/3 rule but that rule can be broken. When I see tha cactus what goes through my mind is someone giving the finger to your otherwise fantastic photo. It divides attention, takes focus away from the subject matter. Of course I suppose the cactus could be the focal point if you used selective focus and took out the background. But then people would ask, why only the top of the cactus?

My Mood
    Sanguine
    Ideology
    Independent
    Post Like Stats

Lee your grand canyon pic is awesome. If I had the hi rez version (hint) it would become my desktop wallpaper.
    The full image is on a storage disc, I will try to bring it on-line in the near future. I am trying to remember if that one, the image, is 8 mb or 84 mb. 84 mb is a lot to run as wallpaper.

In the mean time.... The one posted... if you don't mind the border, will work as wallpaper. Just let the system stretch it to fit.
    Ariann Black

My Mood
    Sanguine
    Ideology
    Independent
    Post Like Stats

I search the internet all the time for good landscape photos. I found a good source at http://interfacelift.com/wallpaper_b...oads/date/any/ and there are many others.
    Not everyone at http://www.panoramio.com posts full versions but many do... ex... Click on the thumbnail, click on the image, etc. etc.

http://commondatastorage.googleapis....l/33663616.jpg

You can either search places OR click on commenter / contributor links.

I agree with you on the 1/3 rule but that rule can be broken. When I see tha cactus what goes through my mind is someone giving the finger to your otherwise fantastic photo. It divides attention, takes focus away from the subject matter.
    I will keep playing with it from time to time. We are seeing the image two different ways. Who knows, when I examine it some more I may find something special that I missed when I shot it. Old age.. some times I just don't see things right.

Last edited by Lee Kington; October 5th, 2010 at 10:33 am.
    Ariann Black