Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Diabetes Thread

CMike11

Default The Diabetes Thread

I went to the doc friday and he diagnosed me with Diabetes type 2.

Diabetes has always freaked me out. I also have to test myself at him. The idea of pricking my own finger, kind of scares me.

Two weeks ago I restarted the Atkins diet. I think it's the perfect diet, since you eat very little sugar. You don't eat sugar, potatos, pasta, rice, or potatos.

Anyone have some words of enouragement?

Thank G-D he didn't diagnose me with cancer or something much more deadly.

Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by terri910 View Post
    CMike, be sure to follow your doctor's instructions -- especially about seeing an eye doctor.

My father had diabetes and wound up with the complication of glaucoma, causing blindness. But he was not great at following his doctor's instructions (stubborn man, God love him).

Also take very good care of your feet, another problem area for many diabetics.
    Terri is right, (did I say that?). I have had a slew of foot problems, all preventable if I'd been more careful with my blood sugar. Check the soles of your feet often, (the instructions are, every evening before bed), and DON'T ignore any sores or cuts. it would be a great idea if you didn't cut your toe-nails yourself. A cut on one, (or more), of your toes could have very bad results.

The main thing, Mike, is to be positive. Diabetes is a drag, but today's medicine is advanced enough to reduce it to a small incovenience, ("an inconvenient truth", if you will... ). All the advice I've read on this thread is good advice. Go for it.

CMike11

Hi Abe,

I am sorry I just noticed your posts. Thank you for the advice.

I wanted to give an update.

I just got the glucose meter, glucometer.

I am having trouble using it. I am having trouble getting enough blood for the test strips. I have the lance on the deepest level. I have been going through about three strips to get one good sample. Pain in the butt. Also test strips can add it up.

I am open to suggestions on this.

My sugar level seems to be about 5 mg/dh above the normal range. Which doesn't seem to be that bad. That is with Metformin.

I see the doc again in about a month.

Scientific Pentecostal Ecclesial Community
    My Mood
    Lazy
    Ideology
    Independent
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by CMike11 View Post
    Hi Abe,

I am having trouble using it. I am having trouble getting enough blood for the test strips. I have the lance on the deepest level. I have been going through about three strips to get one good sample. Pain in the butt. Also test strips can add it up.

My sugar level seems to be about 5 mg/dh above the normal range. Which doesn't seem to be that bad. That is with Metformin.

Sounds like you're doing pretty well Mike. I let my sugar get out of control and need to get back to checking it twice daily. Doc has me doing Metformin three times daily now.
    Yes, I realize you don't agree with me. My condolences on you being wrong.

My Mood
    Lazy
    Ideology
    Independent
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    Terri is right, (did I say that?). I have had a slew of foot problems, all preventable if I'd been more careful with my blood sugar. Check the soles of your feet often, (the instructions are, every evening before bed), and DON'T ignore any sores or cuts. it would be a great idea if you didn't cut your toe-nails yourself. A cut on one, (or more), of your toes could have very bad results.

The main thing, Mike, is to be positive. Diabetes is a drag, but today's medicine is advanced enough to reduce it to a small incovenience, ("an inconvenient truth", if you will... ). All the advice I've read on this thread is good advice. Go for it.
    My dad, like Terri's was diabetic. Since the doc finalized the diagnosis on me last summer I have been going to the Salon with my wife once a month and getting a pedicure. They do a much better job with the toenails than me. I used to soak my feet in hot soapy water to soften the nails and then whack them off with a big pair of scissors.

I've had some soreness in one foot the past week or so. Plan to tell doc about it next time I see him.

CMike11

Not you too.

My Mood
    Lazy
    Ideology
    Independent
    Post Like Stats

Not you too.
    Yeah. I gotta get back to low-carb. For years the doc would say pre-diabetic, I would lose thirty or forty pounds and get a clean bill of health.

When I was in hospital last summer they just flat said "you're diabetic."

CMike11

Last edited by CMike11; April 27th, 2009 at 2:55 pm.

My Mood
    Lazy
    Ideology
    Independent
    Post Like Stats

My Mood
    Content
    Ideology
    Get off my lawn
    Blog Entries
    Post Like Stats

Hi Abe,

I am praying for you buddy. I'm thinking you will get better at drawing the samples as you go. hang tough man
    Lord, I need You, oh, I need You, Every hour I need You
    My one defense, my righteousness, Oh God, how I need You

CMike11

Thank you JW. Any advice (to whomever) on how to do the pricking thing and getting the necessary blood for testing?

CMike11

I am getting better at the drawing blood thing.

My Mood
    Naughty
    Ideology
    Get off my lawn
    Post Like Stats

Thank you JW. Any advice (to whomever) on how to do the pricking thing and getting the necessary blood for testing?
    Are you not getting a good drop of blood . . . . or is it the machine and strip? I got diagnosed two weeks ago, and yesterday went in to meet with the nurse and nutritionalist. The first meter she tried, we went through TWO of the same machine with it saying it didn't get enough blood. So she pulled out another brand and that one worked first try.

I'm also starting to get the feeling I'm past just using Metformin and diet. But we'll see what the doc says when I go in next week.
    sigline.jpg
    DISPATCHERS SAVE SECONDS.................SECONDS SAVE LIVES

CMike11

Quote Originally Posted by snow96 View Post
    Are you not getting a good drop of blood . . . . or is it the machine and strip? I got diagnosed two weeks ago, and yesterday went in to meet with the nurse and nutritionalist. The first meter she tried, we went through TWO of the same machine with it saying it didn't get enough blood. So she pulled out another brand and that one worked first try.

I'm also starting to get the feeling I'm past just using Metformin and diet. But we'll see what the doc says when I go in next week.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kJSq5bo8uI

I am doing better. My problem was not getting enough blood. I needed a hand to kind of squeeze out the blood, and when I used the other hand to hold the test strip the blood wouldn't be there anymore.

However, I am learning how to do it.

What until you see the doc. It's only a week away.

I seem to be about five or so points higher than what the range should be. I am not sure if I am where I am supposed to be either.

Maybe the drug takes time to have the maximum effect on the body glucose level.

My Mood
    Lazy
    Ideology
    Independent
    Post Like Stats

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kJSq5bo8uI

I am doing better. My problem was not getting enough blood. I needed a hand to kind of squeeze out the blood, and when I used the other hand to hold the test strip the blood wouldn't be there anymore.

However, I am learning how to do it.

What until you see the doc. It's only a week away.

I seem to be about five or so points higher than what the range should be. I am not sure if I am where I am supposed to be either.

Maybe the drug takes time to have the maximum effect on the body glucose level.
    If you're on Metformin then yeah, I think it takes a few weeks to really kick in.

I need to call my doc and see about moving up my next appointment. One of my feet started hurting about a week ago. By hurting I mean day and night. No apparent reason for it but the doc stresses the importance of checking my feet everytime I see him. I assume it has something to do with the diabetes but on the other hand we moved our office about a month ago and I have to walk an extra mile on concrete every day so maybe I just need some padded inserts for my shoes.

CMike11

Ray you need to see your doc asap.