Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: The Diabetes Thread

CMike11

Default The Diabetes Thread

I went to the doc friday and he diagnosed me with Diabetes type 2.

Diabetes has always freaked me out. I also have to test myself at him. The idea of pricking my own finger, kind of scares me.

Two weeks ago I restarted the Atkins diet. I think it's the perfect diet, since you eat very little sugar. You don't eat sugar, potatos, pasta, rice, or potatos.

Anyone have some words of enouragement?

Thank G-D he didn't diagnose me with cancer or something much more deadly.

My Mood
    Sardonic
    Ideology
    Filthy Liberal
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by RayMan View Post
    Yup. Throwing in some fat and protein is key. Never eat a meal which is strictly carbs. And never trust an Elf.
    Fruits and vegetables are okay carbs because they're complex, it's the soft starches that get me.

I also have to be careful in a lot of Asian restaurants because some use coconut milk or other sweetened products in their sauces. I had a bowl of curry sent my blood glucose through the roof.

If there's a woman who can stand your presence for more than 10 consecutive seconds, you should hold onto her like grim death.

Scientific Pentecostal Ecclesial Community
    My Mood
    Lazy
    Ideology
    Independent
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by CaffeineHat View Post
    Fruits and vegetables are okay carbs because they're complex, it's the soft starches that get me.

I also have to be careful in a lot of Asian restaurants because some use coconut milk or other sweetened products in their sauces. I had a bowl of curry sent my blood glucose through the roof.
    Asian is pretty much off the menu for me these days. Though I will have some mongolian beef when we order in for dinner at my mom's house for her b-day or mother's day. Other than that, I bring my own food with me for those events.
    Yes, I realize you don't agree with me. My condolences on you being wrong.

My Mood
    Sardonic
    Ideology
    Filthy Liberal
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by RayMan View Post
    Asian is pretty much off the menu for me these days. Though I will have some mongolian beef when we order in for dinner at my mom's house for her b-day or mother's day. Other than that, I bring my own food with me for those events.
    In general I'm okay finding something to eat on most menus and even at a few parties. I did go to one charity auction where the buffet was entirely made up of pasta. Not even a salad. I joked with the organizer that she must be trying to kill me. She realized they didn't have a shred of green on the buffet and felt pretty awful. Then I felt bad for making her feel bad. But I was pretty hungry for the rest of the night.

If there's a woman who can stand your presence for more than 10 consecutive seconds, you should hold onto her like grim death.

Scientific Pentecostal Ecclesial Community
    My Mood
    Lazy
    Ideology
    Independent
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by CaffeineHat View Post
    In general I'm okay finding something to eat on most menus and even at a few parties. I did go to one charity auction where the buffet was entirely made up of pasta. Not even a salad. I joked with the organizer that she must be trying to kill me. She realized they didn't have a shred of green on the buffet and felt pretty awful. Then I felt bad for making her feel bad. But I was pretty hungry for the rest of the night.
    I know the feeling only too well. Our fridge is always full of pasta dishes which my wife makes for herself and our vegetarian son who lives with us. But she is very good at keeping various sorts meat in the fridge and freezer so I always have something yummy that I can eat. She brought home some goat from the Carneceria a couple weeks back and I made a killer goat curry out of it.
    Yes, I realize you don't agree with me. My condolences on you being wrong.

My Mood
    Feisty
    Ideology
    Independent
    Blog Entries
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Funkenstein View Post
    To piggy-back on this, I'd add that pretty much anything "white" is bad. Items made with white flour (bread, pasta, pastries, etc), potatoes (even baked), etc.

Corn products can also do a number on the glucose levels.
    Wish I had the newspaper article in front of me, but I recently read an article that agreed with your post. The bleaching process done to many of the foods we take for granted produce a chemical known as alloxan. Here's a short quote from an online article I found:

It has been shown that alloxan is a byproduct of the flour bleaching process, the process they use to make flour look so “clean” and -- well, white. No, they are technically not adding alloxan to the flour -- although you will read this bit of misinformation on the Internet. But, they are doing chemical treatments to the grain that result in the formation of alloxan in the flour.

With so little food value already in a piece of white bread, now there is potentially a chemical poison lurking in there as well.

So what is so bad about alloxan?

Alloxan, or C4 H2O4N2, is a product of the decomposition of uric acid. It is a poison that is used to produce diabetes in healthy experimental animals (primarily rats and mice), so that researchers can then study diabetes “treatments” in the lab. Alloxan causes diabetes because it spins up enormous amounts of free radicals in pancreatic beta cells, thus destroying them.
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...hed-Flour.aspx
    "The abnegation of reason is not the evidence of faith, but the confession of despair."

Post Like Stats

I was wondering if type 1 turns into type 2. I've been meaning to ask my doctor.
    How long must I & my generation pay for the sins of America I wasn't even born!
    Shalom-Pray For The Peace Of Israel.