PDA

View Full Version : G'day

westaussie
November 7th, 2015, 5:20 am
G'day. My name is Kim from Perth in Western Australia. I look forward to having some robust discussions with other posters on this forum and hopefully provide an insight into American politics from an Aussie perspective.

Proud Mom and Teacher
November 7th, 2015, 6:02 pm
G'day. My name is Kim from Perth in Western Australia. I look forward to having some robust discussions with other posters on this forum and hopefully provide an insight into American politics from an Aussie perspective.
Hi Kim.

Welcome to the forum.

I never made it to Perth in my travels, but loved my backpacking adventure from Cairns down to Wollongong.

I am liking Australian politics at the moment. It will be nice to have your input.

westaussie
November 7th, 2015, 7:10 pm
Thanks for the welcome. What particular part of Australian politics at present do you like?

BlackWolf
November 8th, 2015, 9:09 pm

Glad you're here, always good to get perspectives from outside the American bubble. ;)

Proud Mom and Teacher
November 13th, 2015, 10:57 pm
Thanks for the welcome. What particular part of Australian politics at present do you like?
I like your policy on immigration. I disliked the wave of gun control, but do appreciate the push back of recent years.

I like they are swinging right for the most part.

However, your dole system did put the American welfare system to shame, while I was there. I think they were taxing 50% on second jobs, which I thought wasn't a good idea. I believe it was in the hopes that more people would have access to jobs, but it went against my principles of rewarding hard work. Not sure if that has been modified.

westaussie
November 14th, 2015, 5:39 am
To put it in perspective the Liberal and National parties, which are our conservative parties in Australia, are far left of Obama.

Relatively speaking with the change of Prime Ministers from Tony Abbott to Malcolm Turnbull will result in a move from the right to more the centre. I am not aware of any push back with respect to gun controls. Without the odd isolated voice there is most certainly no push to relax our gun control rules AT ALL.

With respect to taxation we have a progressive income tax where those who earn more pay more. We also have an initial level where no income tax is required to be paid. You can only claim that on your first job so if you have a second job you are provisionally taxed at a higher rate. However, when you submit your tax return you are likely to get a tax refund.

We also have a GST (Goods and Services Tax) which is currently at 10% although there are suggestions that it should be increased. Of course a GST (VAT or consumption tax etc) is a regressive tax where those least able to pay pay relatively more than those well off.

I like your policy on immigration. I disliked the wave of gun control, but do appreciate the push back of recent years.

I like they are swinging right for the most part.

However, your dole system did put the American welfare system to shame, while I was there. I think they were taxing 50% on second jobs, which I thought wasn't a good idea. I believe it was in the hopes that more people would have access to jobs, but it went against my principles of rewarding hard work. Not sure if that has been modified.